myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Look out the window Gorge Monday
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuyT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess most subscribers are like me, we want the real-time wind. The forecasts are useful among other tools, including our own experience. Most of us have been coming here foryears and I can hardly believe someone would base his decision solely on a iwindsurf forecast.

But it would be great if the forecasters were locals, so we could give them sh**t on the beach when they are wrong. Wink Wink Wink Wink
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather whiners just kill me. Get some cojones and forecast for yourself (and your friends). If you're displeased with iwindsurf, vote with your
wallet. I doubt fussing here will change your experience for the better. I'm with Guy. I don't go to a launch and rig for what's in the forecast disregarding what I see at the launch. I use the real-time data, and like Mike take a few forecasts into account (or just look out my window).

-Craig (a pleased user of iwindsurf)
ericandholly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been paying dues since 1999. Forecasts used to be very good. Last few years, not so much. This needs to be pointed out. It is no longer "Gold Standard." To be sure, there has been a lot of effort on iwindsurf's part to add sensors, improve wind direction data for the Rufus puzzle, and so forth. But, big picture is not so great.

This is a great place to get iwindsurf's attention, as evidenced by Windfind's remarks

I use other sites for forecasts, and now have a low confidence level in iwindsurf's. Many of my subscribing friends as well, and feel the same. That, to me, is a bit sad. Would love to see iwindsurf get their Gorge mojo back. We do, after all, pay in part for a forecast service. Maybe a discounted sensor only option is appropriate?

Bad cell service, cable, etc, one brings it up. This is no different. Being a paying member for 20 years does not afford me any special rights. It does provide a perspective, however.

Eric
ldhr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm calling BS on the critics.

Monday's forecast was 100% spot on - decent wind after 2:00 PM and that's exactly what we got. And they were a little up and down as predicted.
I planned my day accordingly and had a great afternoon session.
Grateful for the accurate forecast.
Eric - you and I launched at 2:00 - exactly when Iwindsurf said it would be good.
Yeah they missed the showers in HR - big whoop - it was sunny and windy when they said it would be.

Corridor (Viento to Sandbar): Morning marine clouds reach Event Site and a few showers possibly reach Viento. The marine clouds pull back a bit but terrain-forced cumulus and even showers return thereafter. Up and down westerlies build to near 20...perhaps the low-20's after 2 PM.
AlexM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Idhr - the forecast, while not precisely spot-on, was pretty close, and probably a lot closer than any of us would have forecast based on our out-the-window observations yesterday morning. In general I think forecast fails are more salient, hence more memorable, than forecast successes.
starfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Forecast Reply with quote

Do u really need a forecast? Its summer that means its probably going to be windy if not oh well.
Now maybe if you live in Portland and are married with kids u need to plan ahead. But I think most of you live in the gorge.
Just assume your going kiting or pole boarding every day. If the wind does not blow go mt biking or play golf etc...,.
I personally only care about the live data. I only work till four and that leaves plenty of time after work. Oh and it helps my girl friend likes kiting more then I do. Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my usual sailing spot is 70 miles/$30 away (each way) and every hour of my life is critical TO my life, forecasts MATTER to me. I consider iW's forecasts, but rank them quite low among the options.

If any part of the Gorge blew every day in the summer -- or even once or twice every week -- I'd move closer to it.
charliegrist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Forecasts Reply with quote

I like the meteorological mumbo jumbo. Keep it up. Our weather systems are changing. New patterns are emerging as the atmosphere and oceans warm up. Need the physics of the thing to give us clews in this art.
TBird

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this meteorology talk makes me wonder why no local weed shop has claimed the name "North Pacific High"... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: