myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Slingshot 105 Wizard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how few foilers adopt the idea of mast track back, close to front foot.
Certainly freestylers and wave sailors do, but few foilers besides Balz.
I wonder where Wyatt is currently putting the mast track?
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've used the 105 quite a bit- It is really fun when under way! It feels light and maneuverable.

For me, uphauling a small sail is fine (5.0 and down), but I tried using a 7.0 on it in 5-12 mph wind and it was really tipsy and sinky in the lulls, and hard to uphaul. This was at about 185 pounds, with decent uphaul skills (can generally uphaul a 90 liter freestyle board pretty easily). The small sails don't weigh it down as much, are easier to uphaul to begin with, and are generally being used in halfway decent wind- the board stabilizes instantly if there's wind in the sail, even during uphauling.

So if there is a bit of wind, the 105 is a blast to use! I like it in 15 and up, so for me that's about 4.7 or smaller sails.

Your mileage may vary when it comes to uphauling- everyone is different! But with practice everything (usually) gets easier Wink

http://wind-nc.com
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 105 seems like a great board for freeride foiling and carving swells. Wonder how it compares to the new freestyle 115?
Like bert I will probably get one when/if they go on sale, heard the 2019s are much lighter then 2018s if that really matters?
My jp 135 starts to feel big with small sails in 15+ for WWF(wind wave foiling)
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 155 lbs bud, who foil jibes around 90%, often uses a 4.0 sail for winds of 15-22...on the JP 135 Pro.
Another bud, 180 lbs., better at foil jibes, just switched to 105 from 125 SS, and looks squirrelier in our normal gusty winds and rough water. He needs more wind to get going, as expected.
Look at Balz vids. Long nose, 100 liters.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I found out the hard way is that the tuttle box isn't a ture deep tuttle it's a chinook box.(some call it a medium tuttle)So if you try to fit a ture deep tuttle mast you will find it to shallow.

In the board specs they call it a deep tuttle. If you're fitting a foil that's not a slingshot product do your research and measurements before you make a purchase.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling/Slingshot-Wizard-125-with-AFS-foil?page=1#19

Here's a link to the seabreeze forum down in australia
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
My 155 lbs bud, who foil jibes around 90%, often uses a 4.0 sail for winds of 15-22...on the JP 135 Pro.
Another bud, 180 lbs., better at foil jibes, just switched to 105 from 125 SS, and looks squirrelier in our normal gusty winds and rough water. He needs more wind to get going, as expected.

Probabaly needs to just get used to the shorter nose of the 105.

Thanks Gwarn I read up on all that, that would definitely suck buying the wrong foil for a medium tuttle board like SS. Good thing I have a SS foil:)
I was a bit surprised about your 1yo '18 105 getting a soft spot around the straps, I guess that's what happens with made in China boards sometimes. I know your a big guy but they claim those boards to be built very tuff. The construction is Epoxy though right? I wonder if the '19 boards are better. Supposedly made with carbon and lighter.

I remember reading you were interested in the 103, did you buy one?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:

Balz is on 89L and 172cm.
Even the "big" board he uses is <210cm.

The nose just looks long because the track almost comes to the footstraps. Which is echoed in the 2020 slingshot boards. The SB Foilx boards are similar although a totally different shape.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still riding the 105 till the end of the season then the plan is to install a new deep tuttle box and keep the board in the quiver as a back up. As far a a upgrade I'm still on the fence as I'm planning on pumping out a few of my own designs this winter...

As far as the soft deck between the footstraps I think it's unavoidable because that's where your constantly doing the dance with your rear foot as you are craving downwind.

deep tuttle1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  386.7 KB
 Viewed:  12500 Time(s)

deep tuttle1.jpg

deep tuttle2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  405.38 KB
 Viewed:  12500 Time(s)

deep tuttle2.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is why a no nose is UNimportant and just fashion!
Plus, how many of you are doing air freestyle tricks on your foil?
You want to risk ripping yourself open?
Or your finbox?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: