myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling windsup crossover
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt a person who foils a 9' board or an SUP is looking or expecting shortboard performance.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Doesn't foil as well though, at least not for the person I know who owns one.

The Flyer is quite narrow, which creates some instability around the long axis compared to wider boards like the Wizard. Longboard sailors used to foiling the centerboard (albeit with the leeward board edge in the water) can usually deal with that and often like the Flyer; someone who mainly freerides "normal" shortboards may have a harder time adapting.

But the Flyer came up because James was thinking about using his big Angulo SUP. The Angulo is probably a few inches wider than the Flyer, which should make it easier to foil (and perhaps also to pump). It (probably) does not have the "race SUP nose", but is even longer than the Flyer, so it should still have a decent hull speed.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd day windfoiling, used 100 liter 62 cm wide 240cm slalom board no problems. Except breeze died to -2.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy's setup is the Flyer with Infinity 84 on a 61 cm mast & 5.6 Duotone Idol LTD sail. In that crappy wind on a flood tide at Sherman Island when no windsurfing or kite foilers were going out for fear of getting washed up river in the lulls I was the only one out on the water sailing the Flyer. I quickly learned it was a waste of time to pump as the boards speed when slogging is very fast due to the sharp nose, length & narrow design. The foil acts as a centerboard when not foiling so put both feet leeward & the board screams upwind, even against the flood. I have raced both the Kona & Windsurfer LT in light wind races & could tell right away that the Flyer was much faster than either board up wind. When you feel enough pull in the sail just move your feet to the center line, bear off & it lifts quite nicely.

Negatives. Andy's is waterlogged from people smashing the nose so it is heavy & awkward to carry. Walking it up & down the levy littered with rip-rap rocks was not fun.

Coachg
Windnc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Foiling WindSup Crossover Reply with quote

Douglass,
If you want single, state of the art advanced composite built board that will excell at wind wave foiling, sup wave foiling and downwind foiling, check out the Top Gun - Reef Warrior boards.
See: https://reefwarriors.wordpress.com/2019/02/15/board-room-top-gun-sup-foil-dw-sup-foil-wind-surf-foil-board/

However, they are designed for use with the GoFoil Tuttle mast though. So if you are going to use Slingshot Foils then the SlingShot mast Tuttle base adaptor requires a modification to work. See photo.

Chuck

20190521_094540.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.15 MB
 Viewed:  11316 Time(s)

20190521_094540.jpg

7EE614777D3F447CBB3DF9F68D7C7479.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  130.95 KB
 Viewed:  11316 Time(s)

7EE614777D3F447CBB3DF9F68D7C7479.jpg

d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That TOP GUN board looks awesome, and exactly what I'm looking for. I think I'll ask for that for Christmas.

I can't tell from the picture what the modification is to the slingshot tuttle base. Does it still work in regular deep tuttle boxes after that modification?

Windnc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Foiling WindSup Crossover Reply with quote

The modified Top Gun Slingshot mast tuttle adaptor will only work in a GoFoil Tuttle box. I have to use another non-modified one when I use my Slingshot foil with my old Starboard Go deep tuttle board. I was extremely thankful to Top Gun board designer, builder and mechanical engineer, Casey Treichler for doing the modification for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: