myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Did not get to foil today in 8-10 mph wind
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Did not get to foil today in 8-10 mph wind Reply with quote

Today it blew a constant 8-10 mph. I expected to get hydro foiling but alas I shlogged the entire time. I'm 200 lbs and my setup is pretty light. I pumped and applied pressure on the foil to exhaustion then I took out my '98 Fanatic 250 L X-Cat and cruised to save the day.

For condition I have:
147L Starboard Foil board with the GT foil
8.5 sq m Hotsails Speedfreak, 100% carbon mast, carbon mast extension
Chinook 100% carbon boom

I suppose I needed at least low teens to get hydro foiling.
wsatl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the 800cm2 wing on the GT? Stock 75cm fuse?

Generally speaking - 8-10 (with no golden puffs to get going) is the province of light weight, 1000+ wings and very good pumping technique. Cambered sails (imho) help also - (imho) significantly.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this discourages me and yet i JUST received an email from jlooby

"I have a slingshot infinity 84 wing on a slingshot dialer 145 with a sailworks flyer 8.2. Great combo. Flying in 7-8 knots and so much fun.
Best light wind combo I have had by far!
"

Both joe and i are constantly looking for the greatest light wind setup
and have done the longboard, wide semi-formula boards, BIG sails, etc etc
wsatl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
this discourages me and yet i JUST received an email from jlooby

"I have a slingshot infinity 84 wing on a slingshot dialer 145 with a sailworks flyer 8.2. Great combo. Flying in 7-8 knots and so much fun.
Best light wind combo I have had by far!
"

Both joe and i are constantly looking for the greatest light wind setup
and have done the longboard, wide semi-formula boards, BIG sails, etc etc

The 84 wing is 2066cm2 and the Flyer is cambered (and foil specific so tighter leach, etc.). Flying in 7-8 knots (vs mph) is not taking off in same windspeed. Different kettle of fish. Please refer to my previous post. Very Happy

The most frustrating light wind days are those when the wind is rock steady without that bit of puffiness that makes getting out of the water easier (or, worse, at all). Of course, these are days that I wouldn't even dream of going off the beach in a normal short or even formula board.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusts. Skill. Weight.

With regular pumping skills, it seems the gusts rather than averages will determine if you can fly. They need to be strong enough to get the foil to a speed where the apparent wind lets you keep flying.
With excellent pumping skills (being able to pump onto the foil and then accelerate the board significantly when on the foil), the gusts needed will drop. But it will still be easier to get going in higher puffs.
I can usually pump the board onto the foil even when it is light, but I still need quite a bit of wind to stay foiling. I can accelerate a bit by pumping after the board comes up, but there's plenty of room for improvement left.

After a few weeks of foiling, I'm happy that I can now foil on the days where the light weights can plane using their bigger sails (and the 200 lb sailors might plane every now and then on their biggest gear). The threshold will drop over time as skills improve, but 8-10 mph sounds like perfect for light wind freestyle. It's a bit like foiling - the better you get, the more fun it is Smile
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My foiling buddy has that wing on the 122 board. Its a great set up for windy days. He needs 15mph to get going. He bought the larger surf wing and now he is the first guy flying on the smallest sail. Its a big wing around 1600 cm. or more
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 200 lbs you're going to need about 10.3 knots (11.8 mph) to foil with the 8.5.

With a 10 meter sail the threshold would be a little lower, like 8.7 knots (10.0 mph), but I'm not sure you want to mess with a double digit sized sail.

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger foil is the key. Inf 84 or equivelents.
nodak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are larger wigs available for purchase for my GT setup. I assume I need both front and back. I looked on Starboard site but haven't seen anything.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that kettle is 7 knots = 8MPH and 8 knots =9.2 MPH so 8 t0 10 is pretty close.

-Craig

wsatl wrote:

The 84 wing is 2066cm2 and the Flyer is cambered (and foil specific so tighter leach, etc.). Flying in 7-8 knots (vs mph) is not taking off in same windspeed. Different kettle of fish. Please refer to my previous post. Very Happy

The most frustrating light wind days are those when the wind is rock steady without that bit of puffiness that makes getting out of the water easier (or, worse, at all). Of course, these are days that I wouldn't even dream of going off the beach in a normal short or even formula board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: