myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jim Oakes Injured
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
its4.0somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Jim Oakes Injured Reply with quote

I heard from a friend that Jim Oaks broke a bone in his neck at the Hatchery Saturday doing a forward. I know Jim posts on this forum, so I thought I'd post a page with well wishes here.

To my former Minnesotan, Spinnin' Jim, wishing you a speedy recovery and I know I'll see you back in your usual spot next July!

Mike Doherty
Susan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry for the injury news. Glad the news was not worse than it could have been. Thinking about your fast recovery with little suffering. You will be missed on the beach. Hope you show up with your smiling face soon.
Peace,
Susan
trburl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim is the man. I'm very sorry to hear that he was injured, especially doing a move he's had down for decades. Best wishes and a fast recovery Mr. Oakes, see you ripping in 2020!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it won't take that long to recover. Much depends on the nature, exact location, and threat of the fracture. At the very least, however, he'll want to err on the side of caution, considering the location. I've had a single toe fracture cost me a season, yet had to read the radiologist's MRI report to tell which hip was substantially fractured two or three months ago. I have no idea how it happened and was too busy sailing to notice it. Let's hope Jim and we get an encouraging prognosis.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim will be out for 8 weeks, and that's all I'll comment on unless he wants
to chime in, other than to say we'll miss his company the rest of the season. And our wishes for a speedy (within reason) recovery.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Maybe it won't take that long to recover. Much depends on the nature, exact location, and threat of the fracture. At the very least, however, he'll want to err on the side of caution, considering the location. I've had a single toe fracture cost me a season, yet had to read the radiologist's MRI report to tell which hip was substantially fractured two or three months ago. I have no idea how it happened and was too busy sailing to notice it. Let's hope Jim and we get an encouraging prognosis.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to everyone and thanks for your kind words. I'll give more details later, but for now it's all good.
First off I'm grateful I could sail back to the Hatchery. I had little pain but heard and felt a crack in my body. I thought maybe a snapped collar bone. My shoulder,chest and neck( in that order) hurt a little. Turns out my chest has a chin shaped bruise. My chin was driven into my chest so hard they x rayed to see if it broke my sternum.

All my sailing buddies quickly helped me. What a great group of friends! Thank you!

I'm grateful I was told to sit still and wait for an ambulance( thanks Skip and Sara). I don't like to sit still while the winds blowing! "In case it's your back or neck let's not take a chance" everyone said. The EMTs put a stiff neck brace on me first thing just in case. They were right the ER doc said my neck is broke, but I'll probably just need to wear the brace 24 hrs a day for 6 to 12 weeks. ER doc said see a neck surgeon soon to be sure.

Through the help of 2 wonderful sailing buds(thanks Greg and Steve) I got into Rebound clinic and they are really thorough. Rebound says neck brace only for 3 months unless my MRI ordered for today shows any details ER xrays missed.
Thanks To Tom and Robin at MERRIAM PROSTHETICS ORTHOTICS for providing special service to this cranky old windsurfer!
So all good for now. Not much pain if I sit still, But duh that's the hard part!
Much love to all my sailing friends. I miss you. I'll try to come to the Hatch soon and say hi.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things that helps me accept layoffs like that are DVRs and books. I have several of the former FULL of my favorite TV series recorded just for this purpose and many stacks of the latter just waiting for some forced free time. When bedridden with a broken back, I used talk radio to personally prevent the Utah legislature (according to their switchboard personnel) from passing an asinine but otherwise sure-thing law. We can have a lot of fun and achieve a great deal even when our bodies fail us. The worst part of it -- so far -- is when we aren't sure how safe it is to get back on the horse. If the stakes are high, as yours sound, it makes a ton of sense to err on the side of caution.
PHEMJU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, we are so sorry this happened to you. the hatchery is just not the same without you.
All our best to you for a speedy recovery.
We all miss you and are thinking of you,
Art and Judy
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your injury Jim. Wishing a speedy and complete recovery!
windgypsy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim just another get well soon hurry back it’s not the same without you ,it’s so roomy,,,just kidding of course
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: