myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What happened at Leo Carillo?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: What happened at Leo Carillo? Reply with quote

Lifeguards have significantly cut the sailing area down from the past 35 years. They've set up patrol trucks and warning everyone to stay south.

One guard told me that a windsurfer collided with a surfer and knocked his teeth out. If that's true, he'd have to be a moron. But....I've been there every windy day for the last 4 weeks and have heard no such thing. Maybe it's a kiter at Zero's, or Trancas?

Can anyone out there substantiate this? Let's save our right to windsurf in coastal California!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they will have to close the northbound highways and then the southbound highways on alternate days to avoid head-on collisions (east- and west-bounders will just have to die).
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I guess they will have to close the northbound highways and then the southbound highways on alternate days to avoid head-on collisions (east- and west-bounders will just have to die).

No doubt, but this is California. They might shut us down. However the real story for me is that nobody has heard about this accident.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, regardless of the said accident, I'm thinking that the handwriting has been on the wall for a long time now. When the lifeguards pulled down the iWindsurf sensor quite some time ago, I believe that they did it to actively discourage windsurfing and kiting in the area. It doesn't surprise me that they are now trying to push windsurfing and kiting entirely out of the prime surf zone. It's pretty clear to me that surfers have the numbers and power to win overall at Leo Carrillo.

I think that you have to feel fortunate to still have reasonable access to County Line, especially since the sailable winds tend to blow the surfers off of the water pretty quickly.
theq

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm throwing the flag on the lifeguards' B.S. Unless, of course, the tooth-knocker-outer was a kiter. There were some numbskull kiters going very close to the big Secos rock, into the serious surfer-zone, last week.

And I agree with SWChandler that the LG's have been itching to get rid of us for years now. The surfers squeal and the LG's heal. It matters not we windsurfers are only in the water in the late afternoon. There are exceptions, but they are pretty rare. The surfers, as a collective group, have had elements provide them with "exclusive-ized" use of the wave zone from dawn until 4:00 PM. But still, they see us as a problem.

We should probably sue for some sort of equal-protection under the law, being that the LG's NEVER admonish the surfers to get out of the windsurfing area.

The lifeguards are probably just surprised that us wind-geezers are still windsurfing. I don't blame them. Still, sheer attrition has cut our numbers down significantly since the 1990's. All they really have to do is wait us out. Maybe they, like much of the public, confuse us with the much more visible, kiting, so they figure "we'll" be around longer? Whatever it is, it's a pisser.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt Brian. And I agree with you.

A meeting nex May with all the forces we can muster might help.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to temper the attacks on Life Guards or have it restricted to Southern California LGs. Many times here in northern California the Life Guards have been helpful in clearing the beaches of people in the way of windsurf launching and landing. Many people have no clue as to what it means to try and launch or land a windsurfer in shore surf. The people just stand there and do not move or actually walk in the way.
Many of the Life Guards are young and do not have a clear idea what a windsurfer is. They know no difference of it from a kite kit. I have taken a few moments to explain (and it seems to help) that a clear spot to launch and land, during the little time we are doing it, helps, and that if they see us wipe out or get catapulted or merely fall in,or are swimming in, if the wind dies, that that is part of windsurfing and we generally do not need help unless giving the international distress signal arm wave.
About a week ago a windsurfer was towed in by an LG jetski after he was swimming out to the windline and someone thought he was in trouble and called it in. He asked to be towed to the windline, but that was not accepted. Since the wind was further dying, he asked for a tow in then, which they granted.
Life Guards around here seem to be doing more in our favor than what might be in their job descriptions.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just apply Ho'okipa rules to Leo, problem solved.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Just apply Ho'okipa rules to Leo, problem solved.

I spend a lot of time at Hookipa. Once they put the lifeguard tower there, it's never been the same.

The wind in Malibu is about 80% of Hookipa. It never blows the surfers off the water here.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started SUP-surfing about 5 years ago in addition to windsurfing. I decided to try surfing at Leo, and a lifguardess swam out to tell me I couldn't surf there. When I asked her why, she gave me a bunch of B.S. sophistry reasons: "Your board's too big" Nope, 10"-0", just wider. "You might hit someone with your paddle". Nope, never gonna happen, except in self-defense. "The other surfers aren't used to seeing stand-up paddlers" Wait, what?

This kind of B.S. is happening up & down the coast, either paddlers are banned or forced into a small portion of the venue. At San Onofre State Beach you have to go to the very end of a mile-long surf spot and stay there. Why? I once had a prone surfer tell me I was out of control & dangerous, and he was surfing a 10' board without a leash!! I may not be very good, but I am far from dangerous!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: