myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Diabetes and Sugar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance bicycle rides—40 miles plus—require fuel and lots of water. Fats are the densest form of calories, but not as readily accessible as sugar. Red whips and cookies are staples at distance rest stops—because they work. Carb loading the previous day is also recommended. Some balance of sugar and fats like nuts are used by most riders to avoid “bonking.”

Missing in this discussion is the distinction between forms of carbohydrates. Muscles are powered by glucose—sugar. Glucose is available from sugar, and a bit less readily, from other carbohydrates. Excess sugar is stored as fat. Protein does not provide readily accessible glucose—but excess protein is stored as body fat—the same as excess sugar and fat.

The advantage of complex carbohydrates is that they supply a more measured source of glucose, without the spikes that sugar gives. The disadvantage of refined sugar is that it has no other nutritional value, and provides only a sudden burst of glucose. A well balanced pasta provides multiple other sources of nutrition—fat, vitamins, protein.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you guys have clearly demonstrated that you haven't even read this thread closely, let alone any of the 600-700 published research reports Matty and I pointed you to. Matty's excellent “13 lies” article (some of which even he contradicts) included 116 published research citations, and Evans individually cited, summarized, and often quoted from over 500 medical studies. But some of you won’t even read the covers, let alone any content, of Evans’ or other books (e.g., what part of “Evidence from 500 scientific papers” is unclear?). Many of you (and your doctors) don't even know WTH a keto lifestyle looks like, let alone its advantages for Grandma and for world champion athletes.

That’s just one of several reasons I’ve often posted for refusing to debate people who so quickly revert to sniping when it becomes obvious that they wittingly came to the party unarmed. That’s just bat shit f-ing crazy.

I strongly recommend that any physician or patient pondering statins, saturated fat, cholesterol, CVD, nutrition, many prescription drugs study “recent data” (especially the last FIFTY years’ worth right up through last week’s unsurprising results on vegetarian diets) before prescribing or taking them. Even I, with no formal medical training, have caught literally dozens of providers (mostly physicians and PAs, many nutritionists, and some nurses) making important, often grave, and sometimes life-threatening errors. Many of the more open-minded providers admitted learning something valuable when I speak up or even reject their outdated (by centuries, in some cases) demands, even to the point of correcting some errors and principles in their own research publications and treatments.

There are many scores (hundreds?) of highly authoritative books on these and many more topics (e.g., exercise physiology) written by many of the world’s leading experts in them. Taking a drug or planning an exercise regimen without that expertise just doesn’t make any sense to me. For example, I see MANY people in the gym every day doing not only useless but often harmful exercises. [Tip: Google exercises we should stop doing or avoid. Check them out and decide for yourselves.)
mac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor know-it-all. Seldom in doubt, occasionally correct.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an old saying -'Physician Heal Thyself.'

Coming up 82 years old in 2 months time and fully committed to cycling, windsurfing, and kayaking on a daily basis (time off only for necessary chores). I feel, whether rightly or wrongly, that I can ignore what others may tell me I am doing wrong!

I have no age related ailments that I am aware of (cancer removal op 6 years ago but no sign of return) and I can still compete with middle of the pack much younger cyclists in sustained climbing power and endurance.

If I only live to my 90's because I'm eating wrongly I really don't care and will take that chance. When I look at the state many others of my age group (friends) are now in, I feel I MUST be doing something right, and I know what suits my body!

P.S. For some reason I felt annoyed a few weeks back, at the start of one of my favourite road bike 30 mile long training circuits (big ups and downs with 3,000+ feet of elevation gain) and it worked wonders to performance. I was so indignant that I knocked a full 2 minutes 36 seconds off my record time set a full 8 years ago, when I were a mere lad (as we locals say) of just 74!

Go figure!!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify - I've probably given a wrong impression about carbohydrates. As Mac points out they are necessary to fuel long hard rides, and for the body chemistry to work. But then we all eat them on a daily basis so it's really just the degree to which that is necessary.

I generally fuel up with rice and wholemeal bread in the evenings, with additional toast and butter in the mornings. This gives an adequate supply of reserves for correct body chemistry, and during a ride, topping up can be protein with just a little more carbohydrate. Fat can also be 'burnt' and converted into energy, which is sometimes the aim

It's a fine balance between maintaining optimum cycling body fat percentage and not weakening muscle bulk and strength. (The body will burn muscles when other sources of energy run out.)

The pro cycling team doctors and nutritionists are the experts and authorities on that subject because the have to stand by the spectacular results they can achieve with their riders!
mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gt—there is ample research that shows that thin people live longer, and that sugar is bad for you. As you note, protein is vital for building or rebuilding muscles. It doesn’t make much sense to debate the best fuel for endurance athletics—they really don’t account for much of the increase in diabetes. But fat and sugar are the recommended fuel during exercise, and protein the fuel for recovery. Balance and avoiding excess calories are the key. Research also shows that there are healthier sources of protein than red meat, particularly with the use of hormones in fattening cattle.

Matty’s source makes my point—Americans are fat because they have increased their caloric intake by 500 calories a day, and decreased their level of exercise. Fast foods and added sugar in virtually all processed food are the sources of those calories.

The relationship between body fat and appetite is complicated, and research is still developing clues about weight loss. But at least some research suggests that a higher body fat stimulates hunger: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lard-lesson-why-fat-lubri/

While fat is an essential nutrient, it has impacts on the endocrine system and increases cancer risk. Multiple cancer risks are increased by obesity, an entirely different risk than heart disease or diabetes. https://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/prevention-and-healthy-living/obesity-weight-and-cancer-risk
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, GT, but reams of peer-reviewed research by the world's leading experts (including many world class, even world champion, endurance and other types of athletes) disprove your entire post. Anyone interested in the benefits of being in ketosis would be well-advised to study it even to a mere 1% of the amount many overjoyed keto converts have. Maybe even more important, it's FREE and PROVEN HARMLESS FOR CENTURIES to try it out and see for yourself. No drugs, no risks (unless one has specific illnesses well-covered in the literature), no portion control, no downsides beyond the initial few days of adaptation (as long as one fills in a few holes such as the vit B and fiber prevalent in whole grains), and no bonking/wall because we never run low on fuel. Your age, interests, and goals sound ideal for trying keto.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when your tinfoil hat buzzes, you go for the latest fad. https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis#1

Not as dangerous as some ....
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, and apologies for this diversion, but, while casually listening to Classic F M Radio they played (out of the blue so to speak) Puccini's 'O Mio Babbino Caro', sung by Kiri te Kanawa.

It is a stunningly beautiful and emotional aria (one of his greatest) which suddenly made me feel how precious human existence and understanding is. I suppose my point is that what we eat may fuel our actions, but what our western cultural history has given us is what inspires and drives us. (Apart from the opposite sex, of course.)

At anyrate, thank you for the advice, but I really do wish to continue as I'm doing. It's the mountain bike tomorrow but I expect I'll be playing (and cursing) Puccini through my mind, which will bugger up my concentration on those pesky rocky drop off sections.

But Hey. Life is wonderful, right!!
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal choice Isobars. Remember your number 1 rule?

The Keto diet seems to be good for morbid obesity, type 2 diabetics and for those with epilepsy.

No fucking way I’m taking that diet. Best of luck to you Isobars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: