myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Diabetes and Sugar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vientomas wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
I was referring to Baseball/Football athletes ...not endurance athletes. But Ive tinkered with various veggie diets, and I didnt feel like I missed out after a huge ride. Many of the guys I ride with are veggies, or Vegans.. You'd be shocked about how many protein options there are that are not animal proteins..

I know a couple of vegan endurance athletes too. But, it didn't work for me with my metabolism. That's why I think we each need to pay attention to what seems to be healthiest for each of us. Obviously, refined sugars are, pretty much, not good for anyone. Thing is. Every single veggie I know are sugar addicts. They eat sugar constantly on a big ride and I never do.

My mountaineering friends all eat butter to sustain. It is so odd on a big climb to see a guy pull a stick of butter out of his pack and consume it.

I cut most carbs from my daily diet and do not drink soda. But, when I do road bike rides of 50 to 90 miles, i consume cookies and gels, and cola on the longer rides. I find that with out a good sugar dose every 20 to 30 miles, especially if there is a lot of climbing, my performance drops off. That being said, my weight hovers around 120lbs. According to my bike computer, I'm burning 2000 to 3000+ calories on the rides. I hope the sugar intake is not have a long term negative effect.

This is where I think individual metabolism comes in. I have to be pretty flat out burned out before the "insta-sugar" does me some good. It, often, just causes me to have a quick jolt of energy but doesn't help in the long haul.

I was doing a 13 hour 110 mile desert mountain bike ride a few years back. Mid-ride after a big climb, I was totally bonking. I had packed a fat bomb...summer sausage. Something I'd never eat. I ate about a 1/4 pound and sat for awhile. The effect was amazing and long lasting.

Again, it comes down to metabolism. My brother is an endurance rider. His fuel is bananas and peanut butter. At 58, he rides 500 mile self supported races with 40000 feet of elevation at average elevation of well over 10000 feet. Hard to convince him there is a better diet.

I'm with GT on this. He has a proven history of what works for him. I have the same. I'm not gonna change something that has worked like it has.

I think one thing to note is that the GT's of the world are rare. Hell, the guys like my brother and myself who will put in an eight hour day like we do at our ages are a rarity. I'm not sure there can be a lot of study on older endurance recreational athletes.

Do what works and enjoy the hell out of it!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
Personal choice Isobars. Remember your number 1 rule?

Yes, but it applies only after trying the alternatives. I opposed the keto (and similar Atkins) diet in forums and/or in my health and fitness column for > 25 years before my continued literature research completely changed my mind. The whole idea of using ketosis to dramatically change our metabolism from sugar-burning to fat-burning to increase athletic performance is generations old, and now solid research very strongly supports it. Hell, I even took statins and PPIs, avoided sat fats, and ate sweets literally by the pound (including a loaf of bread and 1/3 box of cereal daily in addition to legendary meals) for decades before wising up. Every idiot doctor I asked about that for literally 50 years said, "As long as you look this fit, eat whatever you like."

Many still think that way, even though the usual result, even if we burn it off, is exhausting our pancreas' ability to produce enough insulin to meet the demand and/or rendering our cells unable to use the excess sugar. The result of that is prediabetes, then likely T2DM, then all the usual deadly diseases THAT so often leads to. What do these samr idiot doctors do for that? Why, they force-feed us on exactly the same hormone that causes T2DM in the first place: insulin. It's like my bud with extremely high triglycerides (far more deadly than LDL, especially when coupled with the low HDL usually reversible by eating more sat fats) who eats almost nothing BUT carbs at his doctor' insistence (and wonders why he loses 5 pounds of muscle every year). He used to be a solid athlete, but now he's a stick figure with high triglycerides.

Ignorance is bliss ... until it kicks us in the groin.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars

I have no idea why you keep raving about the idiot doctors. A lot of my friends are doctors and they are a lot more interested in their patients keeping the weight off than anything else and checking triglycerides and HDL.... Not total cholesterol. And, most are not hot on Statins unless nothing else works.

Advice. Go to the doctor you bike ride with.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My medical files are close to a foot thick. I've consulted with scores of medical practitioners in many fields, and fewer than 10% have shown the rational approach or knowledge yours seem to possess. You and I are probably bell curve outliers on opposite sides of the statistics. A brief bullet list of the provable medical BS I've personally encountered would run into 3 or 4 pages. Just for two examples of doctors earning my "Idiot" rating (they do have to earn it; it's not a generalization) ... oh, never mind ... if I got started I'd miss supper, and it's not even 8:00 AM yet.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the fat folks are:

https://www.routefifty.com/health-human-services/2019/09/obesity-rates-are-highest-these-nine-states/159869/

Funny, these are "personal responsibility" states that are high end users of poverty and medical services provided by the Federal government.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Where the fat folks are:

https://www.routefifty.com/health-human-services/2019/09/obesity-rates-are-highest-these-nine-states/159869/

Funny, these are "personal responsibility" states that are high end users of poverty and medical services provided by the Federal government.

1/8th of the country live in california...New York not far behind......most fatties absolutely live in blue states....

But keep post nonsense, it's entertaining..
mac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty confuses everything--including percentage rates. Carry on.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
mac wrote:
Where the fat folks are:

1/8th of the country live in california...New York not far behind......most fatties absolutely live in blue states....

Do the math Matty. multiply the populations by the fat percentages.. Country is 60% RED -Fat, 40% Blue -Fat..

The map tells the whole story.

What really struck me is that TEXAS is off the charts. 30,000,000 people and 10th on the list... CA is way down the list.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
mat-ty wrote:
mac wrote:
Where the fat folks are:

What strikes me is that I read the obesity rate in CA was only 10% in 1990. WTF is going on? Not with CA per se, but the whole nation.

Do the math Matty. multiply the populations by the fat percentages.. Country is 60% RED -Fat, 40% Blue -Fat..

The map tells the whole story.

What really struck me is that TEXAS is off the charts. 30,000,000 people and 10th on the list... CA is way down the list.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s actually pretty simple. Those of us who exercise almost every day are not the norm. The rates of exercise have dropped dramatically and the caloric intake has gone up by 500 a day. Weight gain is an input output question—if you consume more calories than you burn—from whatever source—you gain weight. But I guess if you don’t pay attention, you can blame it all on sugar and say California is the fattest state.

I think Matty was right, one time last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: