myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fiberspar carbon boom - bend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: fiberspar carbon boom - bend Reply with quote

Had great session, about to derig and notice that my boom is funny looking:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zXcPk3rgh7fEBMcx6

It is 7.0 dedicated boom 170-218.
Set at 197 (middle)

bought it new around 2004, so roughly 20 hours a season, 300 hours total

yes it was overpowered session, and sail completely outhauled, but nothing exceptional.
What was unusual, there was a strong gust, I was completely in control on the reach, and then suddenly "boom" , noise like sail does when it backwinds.
Couple minutes later I see that the outhaul is not to the max , about an inch between sail clew and boom.
Weird, never happened before, but I thought may be it is adjustable sailworks outhaul cam lock gave a little....
Anyways, outhauled back to the max, sailed for half an hour, and then it died down a notch, so I let a bit of outhaul. Everything as usual.

so basically, Qs:
1. i thought that carbon is not bendable, it just breaks
2. is it safe to continue to use, or it will break pretty soon? (I don't care how it looks)
pmlct

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you take the tailpiece out of the body of the boom to examine properly? It looks broken from here, but my x-ray vision doesn't work that well from far away.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: fiberspar carbon boom - bend Reply with quote

alap wrote:

1. i thought that carbon is not bendable, it just breaks
looks)

Correct. You are looking at a break, it is just not broken all the way through. I had the same thing happening to a carbon boom last year.

alap wrote:

2. is it safe to continue to use, or it will break pretty soon? (I don't care how it looks)

It will break very soon - most likely in your next session if you use it again.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the clip slipped. Those tabs wear out, break and skip. On an old Neilpryde boom I wrapped the tabs with electrical tape so that the clips are tighter when twisted shut.

Get the tail piece out and try to bend either part, see how they react.

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the tail extension off, there is a strong likelihood that any partial break in the boom arm will show a lot of play at the compromised area.

I had an experience with a Gulftech Glory carbon boom where the carbon tube coming out of the front end cracked, but it was not visible. Yet, the boom didn't seem as stiff and stable overall. It was only after I removed the extension later after coming in that I could see just how bad things were. I account myself quite lucky that it didn't completely break apart while on the water. Needless to say, the boom was toast.
alap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, added five pics to the end into this album: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPltvxehkgk-WuhQDHFRh6lvchsyLcnYvpeVx7O5sWEatwyJ_wRuPP15V4LqJqERA?key=V1RwYkJMLXotQ0djWHd2bUJwM2lqXzUwc3FJZzl3

so the first thing I noticed today in the morning is that one arm is 4 cm shorter:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPltvxehkgk-WuhQDHFRh6lvchsyLcnYvpeVx7O5sWEatwyJ_wRuPP15V4LqJqERA/photo/AF1QipO-0TQoBbFd0toOpJJxutV3zzkW62ICLQcMveNw?key=V1RwYkJMLXotQ0djWHd2bUJwM2lqXzUwc3FJZzl3

strangely it is clearly visible on prev photos. I guess I was in a mild shock.

I immediately realised that Manuel was correct!

The locks were stuck but I have a tool (next photo)
I applied some force - boom, pop, kaboom and it all was straightened.
Tail piece slides smoothly,
boom looks normal. (two next pictures)
I guess carbon is allowed to bend under pressure, like in carbon mast.

Anyways, Manu Q to you.

Last picture in this album:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPltvxehkgk-WuhQDHFRh6lvchsyLcnYvpeVx7O5sWEatwyJ_wRuPP15V4LqJqERA/photo/AF1QipN1jXsAgVV7cZKAK9PmLGBTKqHV0iTLwmvolZld?key=V1RwYkJMLXotQ0djWHd2bUJwM2lqXzUwc3FJZzl3

To fix it I just position lock in the desired grove and then wrap one or two(?) layers of electrical tape around it, and then slide and turn the cover?

Not that you suggest to wrap tape around grove itself and put sliding locking mechanism on top of it?
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Did you notice the twist clips were pretty loose, easy to close with little resistance? They need to be somewhat firmly closed.

The grooves wear similarly to holes wearing from metal pin friction.

EDIT: the tape is there just to add some girth, the boom can still be adjusted as needed. One of my tabs had also broken.

alap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Manu,
I am puzzled though were this wear comes from - it was adjusted may be twice, with two new sails.
I guess it is every gust that tries to shorten the boom.... little by little...

what an expensive sport we are in.... still the best sport on earth - when it is blowing and your rig matches the wind. I'd say even better than powder skiing...
quigley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiberspar boom lock kit ...try Windpower in Wisconsin for the replacement kit. Better than tape 😁
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to find new parts somewhere for that boom. I had the same issue a long time ago. As did others...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: