myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2nd (Lightwind) Board Advice Needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Data points:

Only people who don't foil are pushing you away from it.
They are also the only ones calling it a different discipline (raceboard is far different but we still call that windsurfing).
A foil is cheaper, easier to bring and has more range than another board.

Locally we're in the same boat.
There are a couple of people similar to alap.
Almost everyone else, esp if you're gone through all the stages of lightwind windsurfing over the decades, are seeing the foiling light.
@alap, we're just trying to save you some money and time.
Wind foiling, is the same as windsurfing, in fact, it's very similar to Formula sailing if you're doing the typical strap in foiling, the main difference is it takes 5-10 less knots, and 1-2m less sail for the same fun.
Same moves, same feel, same hooked in/straps in, same upwind/downwind, same jibes and tack.
As someone mentioned it actually improved my windsurfing as you have to really be in tune with your weight distribution and balance and board/foil/sail behavior.
I've gone through all the stages you're going through and more.
I tried kiting and really that's not windsurfing, whereas windfoiling is just another form of windsurfing.
You can add a foil to your formula board, much cheaper option than buying a new second board.

But take it or leave it. You asked for advice on second board for light wind.
Wind foiling is still windsurfing (just look at the PWA slalom next year, foiling and slalom racing in the SAME race).
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fathomfathom wrote:
the main difference is it takes 5-10 less knots

Are you sure that is not a typo? I'm not saying it isn't true, it is just that I have not seen anyone come even close to foiling in 2-3 knots.

Coachg
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a foil you'd carve those waves like you are on <100L then cruise upwind like a formula, with a 5.0-6.0.

I used a formula and foil overlapping quite a bit. The formula is really locked in but not playful and a (not fun) handful in chop. It also took up my entire roof so I was committed to that board and if conditions changed I was out of luck.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same people that moped about conditions with ws gear now mope along about their foiling opp's

this thread has been hijacked

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
alap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
the same people that moped about conditions with ws gear now mope along about their foiling opp's

this thread has been hijacked

...and they don't even read what you are saying... one guy who is able to foil in 3 knots said that I am asking for advice. Aha. I was asking for advice here.

The other one views two runs from the video about four hour session with winds from 0 to 25 and says he would be able to foil it (probably with one sail??) . Also thinks that I was on Formula. BTW the launching spot is 200 meters of knee deep water. But thats OK.

Yes John, they try to hijack.

But here is a "data point" as they like to say.
More than a thousand views.

Compare to any typical foil thread - 60...80...100 views

And 1000 people who open this thread and read it.
And people open it based on the caption.

1000 people didn't open a dozen of foiling threads. Because probably they are not interested in foiling.

So about 80- foilers, experts, "elite" here.
I am very happy for you guys, BTW.

But they are shaving this foiling down your throat, lecturing what we hoi polloys have to do.

Basically like in a bigger picture in society thees days. 8% of elites telling us what is moral and what is immoral. And all of course for our own good! As fathom said

fathomfathom wrote:
But take it or leave it.

Aha. It is us who have to leave now.
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
fathomfathom wrote:
the main difference is it takes 5-10 less knots

Are you sure that is not a typo? I'm not saying it isn't true, it is just that I have not seen anyone come even close to foiling in 2-3 knots.

Coachg

Lol.
Not 2-3 knots.
I wrote "for the same fun".

This week my friend was on 6.3 140 while I was on 3.7, 6ft foil board overpowered. Local race last weekend, long boards and 10-11m, freeride/wave foils were 5.7.
My lower limit is 10 knots and 5.7. I don't want a bigger sail hassle at this point in my life.
Have flown in 7-8 knots in the past a few initial pump with 5.7 but I would need a bigger wing.

Foiling is just a great low wind windsurfing (yes it's still Windsurfing) for windsufers.
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it or leave it, as in advice from those if us who's gone through the struggle of second board for light wind.
I've been doing this mid 80s.
But hey if you want spend the time and energy and frustration of doing the same thing?
Good on you.
Some (myself included) need to experience things not just listening to expert opinion.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fathomfathom wrote:
Lol.
Not 2-3 knots.
I wrote "for the same fun".

This week my friend was on 6.3 140 while I was on 3.7, 6ft foil board overpowered. Local race last weekend, long boards and 10-11m, freeride/wave foils were 5.7.
My lower limit is 10 knots and 5.7. I don't want a bigger sail hassle at this point in my life.
Have flown in 7-8 knots in the past a few initial pump with 5.7 but I would need a bigger wing.

Foiling is just a great low wind windsurfing (yes it's still Windsurfing) for windsufers.

Your sail sizes sounded about right, but your wind speeds seemed a bit off as not in a different area code, but a different continent.

Coachg
alap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

Your sail sizes sounded about right, but your wind speeds seemed a bit off as not in a different area code, but a different continent.

Coachg

small irrelevant nuances
coach, he is doing it since 80s. Unlike us. Smile Smile
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the windfoil hype from devotees reminds me of the exodus to kiting and all their subtle sneers and jeers at those of us not getting on board with their new thing.

Just like kiting isn't windsurfing, windfoiling isn't quite the same as windsurfing either. Some of us that remain dedicated to windsurfing find synergy in the board moving across the surface of the water.

Yet, like kiting, windfoiling has much to offer, but it is a different experience with its own set of complications when you get into the downsides and particulars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: