myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil faster than slalom
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Foil faster than slalom Reply with quote

I came across an interesting session on the GPS Team Challenge today, where the fastest guy on the water was on a foil. I've highlighted the foilers in green. Lunny got the fastest top speed (2 sec) and the best numbers in 4 of the 6 categories. Interesting to see this happening, albeit in relatively light wind.

Foil faster.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.54 KB
 Viewed:  16555 Time(s)

Foil faster.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a fast foiler on a 500-800 sq cm front wing will blow doors on slow windsurfers every time.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, tell us....
In your real world experience thru observation, how fast are foilers?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me on Naish foil, 48 days in, 13-18 mph.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Foil faster than slalom Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
I came across an interesting session on the GPS Team Challenge today, where the fastest guy on the water was on a foil. I've highlighted the foilers in green. Lunny got the fastest top speed (2 sec) and the best numbers in 4 of the 6 categories. Interesting to see this happening, albeit in relatively light wind.

Those are overall low speeds, but the max/average are indeed close. No much surprise: next year the PWA slalom will be unified with foil and fins, possibly with open races https://www.windsurf.co.uk/breaking-news-pwa-2020-racing-changes/

Just as a side comment: in open water the speed limit is not that high. It is very hard to cross over 29-31 knots for a regular slalom sailor if there is any chop. PWA slalom goes around 30-33 knots. Either way, for regular or pro level speedster, open water foil equipment is getting somewhat close to those speeds.
wsatl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Now, tell us....
In your real world experience thru observation, how fast are foilers?

In France, good foilers are hitting 25-27 knots all the time. There's a fellow who just topped the charts up in Brest who hit 32+ with a 30+ 500. On an alum Zeeko foil, i.e. not exotic gear.

The Naish isn't exactly a speedster. Not it's intended purpose. Foiling is still a young sport in the US, our standard will improve over time both in freestyle and race/speed.

http://www.basevitessebrest.com/resultat.html search under PAV Foil
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Naish is probably the slowest windfoil (rather than repurposed SUP foil).
Guys I know in Seattle are hitting +25kt 2 second speeds and +22kts 500m in very light winds you'd never get anything but a formula going (maybe).
Most are on Formula boards using Starboard foils with 8.6-9.5m rigs.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Naish is slow.
My 50 days, my buds on 76 and Glide M, all 3 waaay better and 2 at 200+ days.....about the same speeds.
RRD faster.
All the -850's faster. None foil jibe consistently, even after 300+ days.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Naish foil. I didn't get it to go fast, I got it to fly early with small sails. At Sherman Island I fly in less pumps with my 5.7 than the F4 racers do with their 8.5's & 9.0's. Of course they are much faster and sail better angles, but their foil alone cost more than my board, foil & sail.

As for differences in planing speeds & max speeds either I'm a way better windsurfer than you guys or I really suck at foiling. I'm finding my numbers pretty close to the German Surf Magazine numbers with the exception of their XL freeride. My large slalom board passive planes at 11 knts & pumps up at 9.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not foiled the early Naish foils. Was on SS 76 wing. The 2020 Naish 1150 foil is aimed at a better top end. It seems as fast as the SS 76 with a good angle up wind. 3 guys at my lake on the 76 all good foilers and it seems pretty even. Foiling is so much fun going fast or slow...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: