myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
isobars, am I alone in thinking that you are walking back your earlier comments suggesting that "current year unused wave boards" can had for a song?

Could be that you ARE alone in that perception. Everyone else who's interested probably read the dates, boards, and prices -- facts, not "suggestions" -- I posted. Whether those 60-75% discounts constitute "a song" is your call. Surely getting "pre-owned" but pristine high-performance boards for the price of a gourmet hamburger (no, not a Fleurburger) -- >95% discount -- qualifies as a song. Compare that to showroom prices on new current boards with FAR lesser to maybe comparable performance (by my criteria) and the discounts top 98%. That's an orchestral masterpiece by any standard except for people whose primary criterion is the date of manufacture.

Last edited by isobars on Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course he's walking back his statement, its been proven to be stitched together from isolated examples in the distant past and has no relation to reality.

I pity the easily fooled who waste time driving to a Gorge swap chasing Mike's unicorn boards only to find a donkey with a traffic cone on its head.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've ridden a few donkeys but..........I've had pretty good success
at Gorge swaps. I'm there most of the spring/summer/autumn and most
of the time I don't buy (or sell) anything (I have more gear than one person
could possibly want or need). Frankly, some of the real deals
happen on the beach.

The smart move is to come up for some rides, and time that with
a swap meet (or 2) if you're looking for something.

One thing is for sure, if you stay on your couch, you won't find anything.

;*)

But if you rebuild a board you like, you don't need another board (except
while you're rebuilding) see how I snuck the topic back in there ;*)

-Craig

grantmac017 wrote:
Of course he's walking back his statement, its been proven to be stitched together from isolated examples in the distant past and has no relation to reality.

I pity the easily fooled who waste time driving to a Gorge swap chasing Mike's unicorn boards only to find a donkey with a traffic cone on its head.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:

It may not be your intent, but you're effectively calling me ...
and my wife, who attends and helps me manage my swap meet sales and purchases ...
and the CGW2 staff (including Bart Vervloet and Bud Budworth), who sold me many of my boards, unis, fins, board bags, sails, thrusters, wetsuits, and MUCH more...
and Pepi, owner of 2nd Wind in Hood River ...
and many other observers of the endless string of pristine (they often think they're new) high-performance boards I sail ...
and dozens of people who have bought such boards from me and my wife ...
and Lee Brittain, Rogue Wave owner and shaper ...
and Gorge launch site pioneer Fred Noble ...
and the entire staff of Windance ...
and Gorge Animal founder and shaper Les Chrichton ...
liars
based on your (obviously blindfolded) measly four swap meets compared to my >100 ... five or so just this year. And that's just the boards. It glosses right over the countless other similar (sometimes much better) deals on other flawless gear.

"Proven"? Show us where. I can't find any such proof (and won't, because it doesn't exist.) Baseless accusations carry no more weight in this forum than they do in impeachment lynchings.

How is ~40 such board purchases (and 20 or so such sales) "Isolated"? Sounds like jealousy to me. Or maybe you base a board's value/performance on its price tag.

Reiterating my printed numbers is "Walking back [my] statement"?

Sorry, dude, but you're looking awfully foolish. And you're trying your best to harm other sailors who want to get great deals on great gear, with occasional benefit to the CGW2 as a bonus. Another example is the buyer of three pristine NoLimitz carbon wave masts for $150 each, (or less, if they got a deal on all three) at the Fall swap meet a few months ago.

My pity goes out to the people who skip the swaps because of uninformed, misinformed, jealous, and/or simply ignorant deniers.

Last edited by isobars on Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
some of the real deals happen on the beach.

I found that true in the 1990s, when I sold magazine test gear by the vanload simply by posting flyers on my WSing van and dealing with lines of buyers. That seems much less ("less", not "non") productive this century. Why that is escapes me, as what could beat test driving a board, sail, wetsuit, fin, boom, etc. then and there before buying it? I've seen only one swap meet seller offer a money-back, no questions asked, full satisfaction guarantee on selected gear.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Dude, you really ought to have someone go to a Hood River swap meet, pick up a board, and ship it to you. Many boards in much better condition than yours are literally free -- as in discarded and on their way to the city dump -- so all it would cost is shipping. If you'd rather pay $30-$50 for a board that looks almost new, you'd have 10-20 options. A modern stubby in very good to excellent condition might cost $100 to $500. (CAUTION: you may have to wash it, or possibly even touch up a few paint scuffs, if you want it looking new.)

The next swap meet, however, is in March or April. If duct tape and chewing gum won't keep your board afloat until then, check out http://www.windance.com/Used-Gear-Used-Windsurf-Boards/ . Their condition grading is quite realistic, so you're not likely to be disappointed. They'll even strap on a live video cam and go over a board with you real time for a close examination. They ship tons of gear, and can probably get far better rates than a "civilian" can get.

isobars wrote:

I get up at 2:30-3:00 AM to make swaps because it's a 150-mile drive one way for me. I make about 6 meets each summer because of the incredible boards I've bought at just stupid prices I've discussed ad nauseum here. But ya gotta take it seriously to get those deals often, including well-researched shopping lists, knowing what flaws to look for, avoiding chatting with friends until I'm through shopping, and making quick decisions on items and prices. I've paid $300 or more for only 2 boards -- fewer than 5% of the swap meet boards I've bought -- and they were unused current year wave boards. When I sold them years later I lost only $300 net and total on both boards combined. Most of my swap meet boards, even over 100 L, were wave boards. Only in the last couple of years have I tended, for specific reasons, more towards wave-biased FSWs in my largest boards.

I've also bought and sold many boards at the HR consignment shops, at good to great bang-for-the-buck deals.

isobars wrote:

The answer to your first question lies in re-reading what I actually posted: "I've paid $300 or more for only 2 boards -- fewer than 5% of the swap meet boards I've bought -- and they were unused current year wave boards." My new 2008 Naish Wave, with warranty, cost me $650 in 2008. My unused 2008 80L Starboard Evo XTV wave board cost me $400 in 2008. I sold the Naish for $250 after years of fun on it (I've owned half a dozen Naish Waves -- have three Naish tri-fin waves right now -- and absolutely love them). I sold the Evo a few years later for $500. $650 + 400 - 250 - 500 = $300 net cost for a ton 'o fun.

Stuff's worth what one can get or pay for it.

The "next to nothing" boards are certainly older than those two, which is very often a GOOD thing. Many of my most thrilling, smoothest riding, best tracking, fastest, slashiest, most chop-proof, sometimes lightest, most cold-dead-hands, and often new-looking boards debuted in 1999 to 2008, and I bought them for $0 to $100 anywhere from 2008 through 2019.

I don't question why someone's selling a board cheaply except to help find any problems with it. Kiting, foiling, cancer (in the board or the owner), overbearing spouses, moving to crappy locations, too much gear ... whatever. Wet core, a big issue, but then I've seen brand new boards take on quarts of water or even fall completely fall apart in their first sessions. I always take a scale to swap meets.

You and Grant are welcome to disagree. My proof is in racks in my shop, den, and MoHo, in the hundred Hood River swap meets I've attended, in the big eyes I see on friends' faces when I un-bag a "new" $80 toy on the beach, and in the ear to ear grin I can't wipe off my face when that toy proves to be a hands-down winner, as MANY of them do in one session, sometimes in one REACH.

Quoted for truth.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your reading skills match Chandler's. Try again.
If you're still confused, tell me what you think is inconsistent and I'll rewrite it.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visitor gets skunked on wind and board takes up foiling.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Visitor gets skunked on wind and board takes up foiling.

Yes ... and I've found zero boards on my short list at one swap meet and bought seven boards on that list at another. And as I've said several times, I've seen two straight weeks of no wind in the corridor ... twice ... in one month ... a JULY.

Crap happens, but it proves only that crap happens. It's much like all the Kahlifornians who moved to beautiful Seattle because they visited one time and didn't get rained on. MAN, were they in for a shock.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to folks buying the best gear from those designing and manufacturing cutting edge stuff?

Frankly, since the early 90s I have been buying boards from some of the best custom designers and builders out there. I paid full price, and I have no doubts at all that I made the right decision. Believe me, I've benefitted greatly overall, and I still have all that awesome gear in my collection today.

I have to ask whether the health of the windsurfing industry be based on sale of their heart and soul at ridiculous discounts?

I don't think that's a credible business model. Think about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: