myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Heated suits/rashguards under the wetsuit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Heated suits/rashguards under the wetsuit Reply with quote

Sooooo it's that time of year where we push the envelop for the cold. Right now my threshold is 40 degrees air. I'm thinking about those heated rashguards but they're around 300-400 bucks and may be a little clunky under my wetsuit.

Does anyone have any experience with these and if they're pro vs. con?

DC
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Heated suits/rashguards under the wetsuit Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
Sooooo it's that time of year where we push the envelop for the cold. Right now my threshold is 40 degrees air. I'm thinking about those heated rashguards but they're around 300-400 bucks and may be a little clunky under my wetsuit.

Does anyone have any experience with these and if they're pro vs. con?

DC

Never tried these, but a polypropylene shirt under the suit makes a big difference. Check out this blog post from a Swedish windsurfer: http://www.andersbq.com/2011/03/polypro-read-my-words.html
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried a heated rash guard but regularly use a standard short sleeve one under my 5 mil wetsuit and it does make a noticeable difference with increased warmth. I've tried long sleeve rash guards too and it limited my arm mobility too much - found the short sleeve was just right. Fully taped and glued seams throughout the wetsuit are also key in staying warm. A rash guard does very little if the wetsuit has leaky worn out seams.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hooded vest over the wetsuit works well. Gives an extra 2MM over the torso, keeps head warm and eliminates the frigid rush down the neck. As always, the feet and hands are are more challenging.
jpeter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few on the forum have been using these mittens. They say better than Dakine. I have a pair on the way. Can paddlesurf with them if they don't work for windsurfing. The newer version has some grippy material on the palm so I don't know which is better.

I remember trying polypro a long time ago and it seemed to hold a lot of water. Got me to thinking I might try a mid/heavy weight ski shirt next time out. Battle of the plastic fabrics. JP

temp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.14 KB
 Viewed:  39851 Time(s)

temp.jpg

dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jay! I'll definitely give these a try!

DC
jpeter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my reply on the mitten thread. give you a report soon, but mon tues looking too warm for gloves.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the mittens. I have used them in mid 30’s air temp (water low 40’s). Very warm. Trick is to get them full of water. My hands were not just warm....but almost sweaty warm.

As far as a best.....look at promotion fleece undeshirt. Comes in long and short sleeve. Adds a lot of warmth.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up to a fleeced undershirt. My wife gave me a compression fleece mock turtleneck over 15 years ago. The brand is Mysterioso. I’ve no idea if they still exist, but their shirt is going strong. My daughter uses it for skiing and windsurfing. Unlike most polyester fabric, the Mysterioso doesn’t retain odor and it’s flatlock seams are bomber.

I used it alone cooler boardshort days, on top of a neoprene vest for windy days in the low 70s and outside a 3/2 to add more comfort on cloudy days. It was warmer under my Bare Polarguard than the included fleece insert, and would keep me warm when I removed the suit, something that can take a while.

dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'm getting the lobster gloves, wearing the rash guard AND I tried wearing my Surface Vest from Dakine which gives flotation AND keeps me warmer, really notice the difference.

Thanks all!

DC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: