myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Just Another Day!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Just Another Day! Reply with quote

Gale forecast, but they always say that! Loaded 84 litre Exocet cross (couldn't be bothered taking another) and small sails, and hot footed (super mini) to our local beach. Total mayhem sea wise. Cross off blown out massive surf strtching way out, and raining hard. No way!

Headed for our usual 'bolt hole' we call the Inland Sea, ( mile wide river estuary leading up to major docks which takes 100,000 tonners) which always runs a good swell, but with surf only on the far side beach. Two kiters were out ripping and only just in control, so quickly rigged my 3.7 Pryde Combat for the 84 litre Cross, and tackled the obstacle course down to the waters edge, a steep slippery grassy prickly bushy muddy slither while trying to slide and lift the rig (have to rig at top at high tide because rocky launch) over the prickly bushes. (It snatches in the uplift gusts and tries lift me!) Weighed it down with rocks then back up to collect the board. (Same struggle.)

Eventually connected and waded out over the rocks, and the bloody wind INSTANTLY goes ballistic!! (As actually predicted.) Both kiters flattened and had to scramble their way in. I attempted to sail but was hurled off by a violent gust and clouted my foot on a rock. (Hadn't dragged board far enoufg out before trying.)

Really annoyed by then and put in a half hour struggle, with out of control bursts of speed and hurlings off, but my blood was up by this time as I let fly with every swearword I could muster, and half a dozen I invented. But the stupid sail was just too big, as was the board, so I gave up. Same blasted struggle to get board and rig up the cliff without being flung into low earth orbit, and endless hassle tring to get board up on roof rack to strap it down. (Had to turn car back to wind, and haul board by back footstrap and hold down, while tring to grab the flying strap buckles to secure it.)

On changing (raw cold 4degree centigrade gale) and diving back inside the car with heater on full blast, and litre flask of tea and box of egg sandwiches, I could then look about at the mayhem outside. A large tanker was being brought into the estuary by five tugs (three ahead and two pulling back behind). Not my battle, so I could feel very pleased with myself, as I tackled the Sunday paper crossword puzzle.

Except!!! The high tension power line running along the top was howling up and down the scale (in the gusts) at a good warp nine racket. But nobody said our sport was meant to be easy, or restful, and the day we no longer try, will be the day we decline! Well bugger that, it's already happened to too many others!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse mistakes, but computer problem again.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I long since learned to pick and choose my battles. At our age one injury could be devastating. Not only end your windsurfing but..... well lots of bad things. That said, I applaud your drive and courage. The last time I went to the Gorge, it was way crazy like that for a week. I sailed way over powered in stupid gusty shifty winds. I think I was still in my 60's I did it but it wasn't any fun. Could have been my gear, declining skills or the fact I never see that kind of wind at home. Now At 70 I go to places like SPI. Mostly its warm air and water and wind from 7.0 to 4.0 Even when its windy the water stays pretty smooth. Its just back and forth sailing but its still fun. Waves, big jumps and ruff water are things from my past. For thrills I foil and carve back and forth pretending I'm still riding waves...
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I long since learned to pick and choose my battles. At our age one injury could be devastating.

I totally agree. I've begun cherry picking based on both sides of that bell curve of conditions. Just as I eat or snooze now during the most gusty/risky/nuker blasts, I also don't waste my diminishing energy on slogfests. 35 average is fine, but not if the gusts are pushing or topping 50. I LIKE having my shoulders at shoulder-level. When even special techniques and equipment don't lessen the risks or smooth the chop or fill in the holes, I bail to sail another time. Some people who criticize me for doing that have paid prices I'm not willing to pay.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Another Day! Reply with quote

You and your veni vidi vici attitude are my freak'n hero GT.

Stay healthy,

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Gale forecast, but they always say that! Loaded 84 litre Exocet cross (couldn't be bothered taking another) and small sails, and hot footed (super mini) to our local beach. Total mayhem sea wise. Cross off blown out massive surf strtching way out, and raining hard. No way!

Headed for our usual 'bolt hole' we call the Inland Sea, ( mile wide river estuary leading up to major docks which takes 100,000 tonners) which always runs a good swell, but with surf only on the far side beach. Two kiters were out ripping and only just in control, so quickly rigged my 3.7 Pryde Combat for the 84 litre Cross, and tackled the obstacle course down to the waters edge, a steep slippery grassy prickly bushy muddy slither while trying to slide and lift the rig (have to rig at top at high tide because rocky launch) over the prickly bushes. (It snatches in the uplift gusts and tries lift me!) Weighed it down with rocks then back up to collect the board. (Same struggle.)

Eventually connected and waded out over the rocks, and the bloody wind INSTANTLY goes ballistic!! (As actually predicted.) Both kiters flattened and had to scramble their way in. I attempted to sail but was hurled off by a violent gust and clouted my foot on a rock. (Hadn't dragged board far enoufg out before trying.)

Really annoyed by then and put in a half hour struggle, with out of control bursts of speed and hurlings off, but my blood was up by this time as I let fly with every swearword I could muster, and half a dozen I invented. But the stupid sail was just too big, as was the board, so I gave up. Same blasted struggle to get board and rig up the cliff without being flung into low earth orbit, and endless hassle tring to get board up on roof rack to strap it down. (Had to turn car back to wind, and haul board by back footstrap and hold down, while tring to grab the flying strap buckles to secure it.)

On changing (raw cold 4degree centigrade gale) and diving back inside the car with heater on full blast, and litre flask of tea and box of egg sandwiches, I could then look about at the mayhem outside. A large tanker was being brought into the estuary by five tugs (three ahead and two pulling back behind). Not my battle, so I could feel very pleased with myself, as I tackled the Sunday paper crossword puzzle.

Except!!! The high tension power line running along the top was howling up and down the scale (in the gusts) at a good warp nine racket. But nobody said our sport was meant to be easy, or restful, and the day we no longer try, will be the day we decline! Well bugger that, it's already happened to too many others!
hitech

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tea and box of egg sandwiches.

Who would have guessed.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story! Cool I'll bet you wish you could have another try with a 3.0 and 70 liter board.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitech wrote:
Tea and box of egg sandwiches.

Who would have guessed.

Ahh,maybe tea and cucumber sandwiches, smeared with Marmite.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read GT,
Nothing remotely like that has ever happened to me. Wink Wink

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Big blows Reply with quote

Just got my Medicare card a month ago sail in conditions on the Great Lakes like that all the time!yeah just another day in the life of a windsurfer 38 years in the wind.that story you tell is a normal big wind day on the inland seas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: