myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Off season condtioning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali, agree mostly, would not debate any.
Other poster, is bat sh1t nuts.

Advise on here is free.
For some it’s too much.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Off season condtioning Reply with quote

Sacandagalady wrote:
I am a 65-year old woman with bad shoulders, a bad lower back and two knee replacements, so please keep that in mind.

I've been windsurfing with bad shoulders and marginal knees for 28 years. What's worked for me is staying with the physical therapy exercises I've been given over the years. I'd be off the water without it. If you haven't pursued "sports physical therapy" it's different...more rigorous and with higher goals...than regular PT. Highly recommended.

Separately, I think we've all found that there are no sets of exercises that keep any of us in top windsurfing condition. Focus on PT and general fitness. I hit the gym 3x week (where I do my PT exercises) and add yoga to this, which has been great for both strength and range of motion.

Last edited by PeconicPuffin on Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sacandagalady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Hi all,

You have all given me some great advice and suggestions to keep in shape and to target my training for windsurfing.

I thank all of you for that. Yes, Peconic Puffin, I did visit my excellent physical therapist and sports-specific physician about two months out from the sailing season last year, which allowed me to sail within my sailing and physical abilities and limitations.

The thought of lower weights and higher reps is of interest too, as well as some possible yoga to limber on up tightened winter musculature. Last year, that seemed to help get me as ready as I was going to be, and adding to it some bike riding and occasional kayaking, and I got through the season with excellent results.

For those of you who mentioned getting hurt by working out; I have a good handle, being a lifelong athlete, as to minimize things that are NOT good for me to be doing. Those of you who mentioned looking at a sailing situation and going on home if it is too much, AMEN to that. Swimming back to shore or getting hurt would ruin my shortened-already season. Being older now should mean being wiser and more conservative at times.

Around here, the gusts can come on up and overpower you before you know it. I will also review all of the links you folks suggested and fine tune my repertoire, which works well for the most part.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Sacandagalady
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Other poster, is bat sh1t nuts ...

or better educated in this field.

I've referenced hundreds of citations to peer-reviewed research and world-renowned exercise physiology professionals and researchers just in this field alone, not even counting doing the same for many other topics; where are your references? (Searching PubMed and the Cochrane Collaboration Library for "bat shit" produced a big goose egg.)

Last edited by isobars on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Sacandagalady wrote:
Swimming back to shore ... would ruin my shortened-already season

I call that exercise ( Smile ), and do it as often as conditions demand over distances up to a kilometer. I've had numerous shoulder problems that precluded serious swimming, but all were repairable by one provider or another.

As for "Those of you who mentioned looking at a sailing situation and going on home if it is too much, AMEN to that.", I've begun cherry-picking, too, because of injury risks and drug-impaired endurance. But I don't go home. I just eat and/or take a much-needed nap and hope that conditions will improve by that time.
akrausz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our age life is physical therapy. Continue with it to try to strengthen your body from the ground up. No need to do exercises that target your arms. Compound movements are better. The goal of the exercises is injury projection both during the exercise and everyday life.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yoga :which we do twice a week about 50 minutes at a time, in a yoga class.(recommended by our physical therapist daughter when we retired at 65 in 2008.) We also do quite a bit of walking and some low-impact aerobics. I'm now 76, three months short of 77. In my life I have never tried for peak fitness. I never do weights (except a few reps of 5, 8, or 10 lb weights in the aerobics class), never do machines, never run for exercise.

2. If you can get a little creative, you can sail with a windsurfing rig (sail, mast, boom) every month of the year where you live. I live in Iowa, probably with more extreme weather conditions than you have (unless your altitude is significantly higher), and I've sailed with a windsurfing rig in every month since March 1994 (now 311 months in a row). Unlike many windsurfers I also have snow, ice & parking lot boards. Just a parking lot board can get you sailing in every month of the year. Safety gear (such as helmet & pads) is needed in addition to the board. Used boards are relatively easy to find on Craigslist or Facebook's Marketplace. PM me for as much info as you want.

3. I assume the poster's here have had the medical conditions and results they talk about. Whether I have sufficiently similar conditions or would get similar results is unknown.

4. High performance in athletics has never been my goal because I've always known I don't have the innate speed for high performance. Like every other windsurfer I have balance that is at least as good as average, for the general population, and maybe better. The yoga helps maintain my flexibility. So does the persistence of sailing with a windsurfing rig in every month. In the past I've been beaten in competitive racing by racers who were as old then as I am now. I hope both of us can live long enough to still be windsurfing and racing in our mid 80's.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Snow Ski in the "off" season, and I'm 64 next month.

-Craig
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck snowboarding, got too much gear, and need boots for skiing.
Boots are 200 bucks.
Small 600 sq cm foil or boots?
I'll be 71 in 2 weeks.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look at the suzy trains maui site.
Can you paddle board or surf in the off wind season.
Maybe to cold there?

https://www.suzietrainsmaui.com/

Lots of balance exercises.
Lots of ytube video's

Last edited by ctuna on Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: