myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anti-semitism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Anti-semitism Reply with quote

There are those who mistakenly conflate criticism of Israel policy, and particularly of Netanyahu, with anti-semitism. Many of those people apologize for Trump's support for the marchers in Charlottesville, who marched to defend statues that were symbols of slavery and chanted "Jews will not replace us."

This essay from an Israeli immigrant is a powerful reminder of the degree to which Trump has greenlighted bigotry of all kinds.

Quote:
By NOAM HAYKEEN |
PUBLISHED: January 2, 2020 at 4:56 pm | UPDATED: January 3, 2020 at 4:00 am
Germany was a battlefield of horrors for Jews at the end of the 1930s. The terrifying “Night of Broken Glass” forecast the atrocities they endured in subsequent years. During that night and early morning of Nov. 9-10, 1938, German Nazis cruelly attacked Jews in what became known as Kristallnacht. Synagogues were torched. Jewish-owned businesses, schools, and homes were vandalized, and roughly 7,500 were plundered. Ninety-one Jews were murdered.

My Jewish European ancestors experienced villainous acts by the Nazis that night and in the years to come. My parents have repeatedly told me of the horrors Nazis brought upon their families in ways I could barely fathom. It pains me to say the wickedness of Kristallnacht can be seen again in the anti-Semitic acts emerging across this country.

Just last weekend, a man invaded a rabbi’s home and stabbed five people celebrating Hanukkah in Monsey, N.Y. It was the end of a month that included a string of attacks against New York Jews; a deadly shooting at a kosher grocery store in Jersey City, N.J.; and vandalism of a synagogue in Beverly Hills, where furniture was overturned, glass was broken and a Torah scroll was crumpled and torn. These are only some of the hundreds of hate crimes against Jews America saw in 2019 that are reminders of the horrific night Germany underwent in 1938.

Nearly 60 percent of all U.S. hate crimes motivated by religious bias target Jews – although Jews account for only 2 percent of America’s population. The consequence of these attacks: Nearly 1 in 3 U.S. Jews hide their faith at times.

Anti-Semitic activity has risen sharply since 2017, when Donald Trump became president. It’s not surprising. He defends neo-Nazis and spews repulsive anti-Semitic tropes that Jews are rapacious and have dual loyalty to the United States and Israel.

The correlation between the rise of anti-Semitism in America and Trump’s rise to power is no coincidence. An American president’s bully pulpit can stimulate the good, the bad and the ugly. Horrifically, in this case, Trump’s engagement in anti-Semitism has harmed American Jews.

My family and I immigrated to the U.S. for more security, prosperity and reassurance. Under this president, however, the antithesis has materialized. Never would I have imagined living in America and witnessing anti-Semitic incidents that resemble those of Kristallnacht.

I am scared. Will the next anti-Semitic shooting occur in my place of worship? Will my kosher supermarket soon be vandalized? Is my local Jewish community center vulnerable to an attack? I refuse to accept this reality as the new norm. Every single anti-Semitic attack must be regarded for what it is — revolting actions fueled by villainy.

Democrats condemn Trump each time he engages in anti-Semitic behavior. But why have Republicans not done the same? If any Democrats acted like Trump, they would be condemned by Republicans. Yet, when Trump engages in anti-Semitic tropes, Republicans simply brush it off like it’s no big deal. The double-standard Republicans set for themselves and others concerning anti-Semitism does not merely make them cowards, it also makes them complicit in this detrimental reality.

Given the president’s repeated engagement in anti-Semitic behavior, this trend of barbaric attacks against Jews can only be curtailed with the 2020 presidential election. Americans must uniformly proclaim that an attack against one of us is an attack against us all. This country’s beauty derives from its diversity. Our votes must reflect that notion so that the anti-Semitism we’re witnessing will stop.

Noam Haykeen is an immigrant from Israel who studies political science at UC Berkeley.

Another link from today's news. https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-01-02/anti-semitism-grows-in-jewish-communities-in-new-york-city-suburbs
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprising. https://www.yahoo.com/news/called-impeachment-jew-coup-got-192917920.html
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From mac's attached story:

Quote:
Site That Called Impeachment a 'Jew Coup' Got Passes for Trump Trip.

TruNews was not granted special access to the president in Davos, nor did its members travel on Air Force One. But one of Wiles’ colleagues, Edward Szall, asked a question of the president’s daughter Ivanka Trump during a news conference.

What a pile of crap news story, but what else would one expect from Baja's favorite - Yahoo News.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900, I think that you failed to note that the article was originally presented in the New York Times. Yet, as a warrior from the right, it wouldn't surprise me if you feel the same way about the NYT as you do about Yahoo.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget WaPo, they are just as biased as the NYT, neither paper can honestly be considered the arbiter of truth 100% of the time. The Bolton leak from another "anonymous source" being the latest example.
The last time the NYT endorsed a GOP candidate for POTUS was in 1956 for Ike.

This latest thread from mac is just another attempt at transference, for both himself and his sources.
Trump is an anti-Semite, yeah, that's it, sure he is. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Don't forget WaPo, they are just as biased as the NYT, neither paper can honestly be considered the arbiter of truth 100% of the time. The Bolton leak from another "anonymous source" being the latest example.
The last time the NYT endorsed a GOP candidate for POTUS was in 1956 for Ike.

This latest thread from mac is just another attempt at transference, for both himself and his sources.
Trump is an anti-Semite, yeah, that's it, sure he is. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

So true, those publications that require fact checking are so unfair to those who believe that Trump tells the truth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: