myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind wing foiling v. Windsurf foiling.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noelh325901

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Wind wing foiling v. Windsurf foiling. Reply with quote

For those with who do both. Which do you feel allows for more rapid development in terms of getting a feel for riding a foil?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your already a windsurfer than you know how to manage a sail, mast and boom. The addition of a foil just adds one new thing. Most guys here are flying the first day. If your new to wind sports, than it might be easier to learn wing foiling. Mostly because of the ease of set up and weight of the wing. I don't wing yet. That said the pump and go is so much easier than rigging a sail, that I going to give it a try if we get water in the lake. The "winger's" here are getting really good.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wingdinging is like kiteboarding a big board without the hassle of 20 meter lines.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conditions is everything.
In steady 12, allaire easy.
In 2-20, a struggle for all.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first foiling experience was windfoiling, and I found it not too hard. I got up almost instantly and it just took me a few sessions to be flying steadily. Foiling jibes took longer, but I've got 'em now.

As for the handheld wing: I don't own one but I've used my buddy's several times, both on a longboard with a daggerboard and on buddy's 6'6" 140 liter foilboard.

As a windsurfer, it was quite easy to use the wing on the the longboard with the daggerboard, although the wind has to be pretty strong to "feel" the forces and responsiveness of the wing. In light wind it's just awkward like you're standing and trying to fold a fitted sheet- easy to drift downwind. With a windsurf sail you can tack your way back to shore through light and gusty offshore winds, but I wouldn't dare go out with the wing unless the wind was steady and sideshore / onshore.

Using the wing with the little foilboard was quite challenging, even already knowing how to windfoil, but it IS fun, and if the wind is steady and strong enough you can get the feel of it reasonably quickly. It's just not as efficient as with the windsurf sail- needs more wind to work properly, and doesn't get the speeds and upwind angles. If I was a millionaire I would buy one to fool around with, but not worth it for me now since I already have the windfoil kit.

kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm closing the efficiency gap between wind foiling and wing dinging. however, I still think i get going earlier w/ a sail. I find pitch control much simpler w/ the wing ding. I'm also using a huge 2400cm2 foil wing dinging, and only ~1500cm2 wind foiling... I have used the ~2kcm2 wing for both also.

different experiences, and both are fun. I wind foiled for about a year before trying the wing ding, so I already had some foil knowledge.

If you really want to get a feel for the foil as easily as possible, tow behind a boat or jetski if that option is available to you.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched 200 lb Kev wingfoil all around on 4 meter wing while 2 freestyles of lighter weight slog/barely plane on sails around 4.8 to 5.2.
G/f solid planing on 6.0, so wind was in the 13-20 range.
I spent 150 days in '01 at Alameda learning to kite. Got maybe 7 good days and 20 really holey days.
Lucky I also went to Berkeley and Marina Bay for 30 more good days.
Messing around with Robert's Duo Wing, sure reminds me of kiteboarding.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was wondering what she was on... good to know. was quite a bit windier earlier and really perfect conditions for the 4m wing. my legs were getting tired by the time i saw her... i was falling all over the place.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ist jibe, yes, then you got better and better linking several. Plus, you got upwind easily on what would be 6.0 windsurf wind.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
i'm closing the efficiency gap between wind foiling and wing dinging. however, I still think i get going earlier w/ a sail. I find pitch control much simpler w/ the wing ding. I'm also using a huge 2400cm2 foil wing dinging, and only ~1500cm2 wind foiling... I have used the ~2kcm2 wing for both also.

different experiences, and both are fun. I wind foiled for about a year before trying the wing ding, so I already had some foil knowledge.

If you really want to get a feel for the foil as easily as possible, tow behind a boat or jetski if that option is available to you.

Hey kevin. Can you achieve the same top speed dinging compared to windfoiling? Assuming you are using the same wing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: