myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin size for Tabou Rocket 145

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killeen_john

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Fin size for Tabou Rocket 145 Reply with quote

I was looking to try a smaller fin for my 2012 Tabou Rocket 145 (250 x 76) than the 48 cm (orange MFC designed?) fin originally supplied with the board and searching here turned up a few threads suggesting the MFC Liquid Pro works well. Looking at the Maui Fin Company website, I see a few different freeride options including the Liquid Pro and HF-Ride although not really clear what the difference is. I was thinking about trying a 42 or 44 and would be grateful to hear your suggestions. I'm 190 lbs and would be using a 7.5 sail.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avoid g-10 for high wind app's from 36 cm and larger, if possible.
carbon or molded fins are stiffer. won't waggle around in chop or in cornering.

g-10 has one flex characteristic. molded fins are usually stiffer all around, but definitely in smaller sizes. flex is great in lighter winds. bends and lifts more. a feature to avoid in gusty and choppy conditions

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the HF-Ride but I can to the Liquid Pro. The LP is a very good freeride fin. I found it a very slippery fin, not a fin you can push against with a lot of force but very fast.

I don't see that much difference between a 42 or 44 cm fin for you. A lot depends on your riding style. If you are a heavy back footer get the 44. If not, consider going down to a 40.

Coachg
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think a 42 or 44 sounds about right. Some manufacturers like Select and Makani have fin selectors where you can plug in your numbers and see what they recommend. My experience is it's tough to narrow down any further without trial and error. I read the MFC web page and couldn't figure out the difference either, except the HF-Ride is a newer design. Maybe send them an email.
killeen_john

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I had emailed Maui Fin Company last weekend and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm sure they're operating at reduced capacity during this covid-19 pandemic.

I arrived at the 42 - 44 range using the James Douglas calculator which suggested 43.8 cm (ideal wind) or 41.7 (overpowered).

The Select-Hydrofoils fin selector tool interestingly suggests a 48 cm fin for my weight and a 7.5 sail size.

Select Fin Selector.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  273.89 KB
 Viewed:  17205 Time(s)

Select Fin Selector.png

akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some old Liquid Pro sail sizes floating around the internet. 44 for 7.5 and 42 for 7.0. Fin area is likely a better apples to apples comparison. I think that is part of why you see 48's and 44's recommended for the same sail. Factors like board, wind and rider are very significant.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fin size for Tabou Rocket 145 Reply with quote

killeen_john wrote:
I was looking to try a smaller fin for my 2012 Tabou Rocket 145 (250 x 76) than the 48 cm (orange MFC designed?) fin originally supplied with the board and searching here turned up a few threads suggesting the MFC Liquid Pro works well. Looking at the Maui Fin Company website, I see a few different freeride options including the Liquid Pro and HF-Ride although not really clear what the difference is. I was thinking about trying a 42 or 44 and would be grateful to hear your suggestions. I'm 190 lbs and would be using a 7.5 sail.

Makani Fins are awesome. I replaced original 42 cm freeride fin with their 40 cm Makani Kohola and was amazed with the difference. Forgot about spin-outs.

Andrei
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: