myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfer Helicopter rescue after dark-- safety gear.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riptide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The report I have is an over 60 years old, no wind, broken mast. gear found adrift, he had yelled for help. 911 called.

Raw video from CHP helicopter, wrongly being refereed to as a kite boarder, which rescue services frequently use windsurfer and kite boarder in the same rescue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMCcAmGgi_c&fbclid=IwAR3FZZKtG88p1iPdra5tcftNiHnzaZhqAjuaaaxdfYNnqKxjnqmjJHN3LH0&app=desktop
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like his backup plan -- presuming it was a plan -- was going to the nearest shore and getting help. That's a valid plan, usually readily available in populated areas with accessible shorelines. A guy in the Gorge who sailed ancient gear alone always carried sufficient cash to pay for the 120-mile highway round trip from Arlington to Roosevelt, and it finally paid off for him. In that big NM lake I mentioned I carried minimalist booties and some matches and filed a "flight pan" with my buds in case I had to spend the night on the isolated far shore.

As long as we plan for the conditions and the threat is nuisance level rather than one's life (e.g., the landlord, being swept out to sea, a waterfall over a dam in NM), the bottom line is usually planning for and expecting the worst and deciding whether the benefit warrants the risks.
In this case, even if the Coast Guard had not gotten involved, the sailor probably knew there was enough civilization on the far shore to assist in an emergency. Often simply thinking Plans A, B, and C through in advance can lead to a decision we can live with.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekd wrote:
Never leave your gear/rig ever, unless it is ripped out of your hands.
It's flotation.

Best advise that can be given. In open waters very few people can swim for more than a couple of hundred yards. And even a shorter distance can kill you, if wind and waves or current are going the wrong direction.

You can survive hours, even days, stranded on a windsurf. Yep, don't leave it.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case my board /rig got ripped off my hands, I've been wearing Neil Pryde ELITE Buoyancy Vest for years. Kinda peace of mind in addition to making waterstart effortless.

https://www.coastwatersports.com/neil-pryde-elite-buoyancy-aid-vest-black-p-3522.html?currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoaz3BRDnARIsAF1RfLdyjk2Qn58LdEsp5xcOdwFdqQUxGJwxgn4AZWVifHfFwVGicborN9oaAn4_EALw_wcB
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don’t know he left his board.
Like others said it may have been ripped from his hands.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind That video would have been way more informative if after putting on the vest he would have jumped in the water right behind him and floated to show it's buoyancy! NP marketing fail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: