myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Port is implementing a COVID parking limitations.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Port is implementing a COVID parking limitations. Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

As expected the Port is implementing COVID hourly monitored parking lot limitation and blocking street parking.

There have been signs at the Event Site for weeks saying that partial closure would happen if there was crowding.

Unfortunately, the Port is encouraging Event Site people to move to the Hatchery etc.

Quote from Port:

“Explore different locations on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays to reduce the number of park users. The Hook, Marina Beach, Hatchery, Rowena, Dougs, Swell City, Viento, and several locations east of Hood River are excellent choices. Try early or late. Mid-day is just too busy.”

https://www.hoodrivernews.com/hoodriver/port-to-implement-event-site-parking-limitations-to-discourage-crowding-covid-19-risk/article_4941e760-c6c5-11ea-9f5e-274746da1323.html

The Hatchery has way more crowded parking and launching than the Event Site. So are at risk of losing our launch again due to a few people.

Make a point of distancing so if inspectors drive through all they see is people 6 feet plus apart. If you are too susceptible group pressure to wear a mask buy a neck gaiter from Amazon and wear it that brief moment walking to and from the water where you may not be able to distance.

Mike Godsey

tempZZ4F8621EB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  386.43 KB
 Viewed:  32068 Time(s)

tempZZ4F8621EB.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ldhr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Port is implementing a COVID parking limitations. Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Hi Gang,

If you are too susceptible group pressure to wear a mask buy a neck gaiter from Amazon and wear it that brief moment walking to and from the water where you may not be able to distance.

Mike Godsey

Thanks for posting Mike. Just to be clear - neck gaiters like the Buff are intended for protection from the sun...... but it's better than nothing.
I wear one on the water to protect my senior epidermis and pull it up when I'm in the parking lot.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2411426/buff-bandana-face-mask-effectiveness
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ldhr,

Since one of my wife's many jobs is researching n95 masks to find those that are not counterfeit. So I know the limitations of a gaiter.

They basically offer almost no protection for the wearer. BUT... they catch many of the droplets you blast out when you sneeze, cough or talk loud. So if everyone distances and wears even a primitive mask we are all a lot safer.

I am lucky to have hundreds of N95 particulate masks that use when welding and plasma cutting. But they are not practical for windsurfing.

Incidentally, there are ACE-2 receptor sites in the epithelial cells of the eye capillaries and the Spike protein from the virus can also bond there. You would be wise to wear wrap-around sunglasses at the Hatch.

I will put an Amazon link here later.

Mike
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Keep the Hatchery from suffering the fate of the Event Site. Make sure the authorities see us distancing and wearing some face covering when crowded.

If group pressure stops you from wearing a regular mask or if you get your medical advice from politicians just buy a filtering neck gaiter like in the image below.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=filtering+neck+gaiter&crid=27M3RBZVFIEAQ&sprefix=filtering+neck%2Caps%2C261&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14

After rigging (while distancing) Pull your neck gaiter over your face and enter the crowded zone at the water. Once away from the beach pull it down around your neck. After sailing pull it up over your face until you get to your car. Wasted time? 60 seconds.

Then after sailing distance while socializing. Smarter folks will stay upwind or at least crosswind.

Is it perfect? No, but a damp finely woven gaiter and distancing will provide a good bit of protection.

Even if you think your chances of getting COVID are in the lottery range you would be a fool to risk getting sick and missing a season or a life for the loss of 1 minute of your time. Plus you can even find fashionable gaiters to match your bikini!

Mike Godsey

zz5d2401b7_900.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.08 KB
 Viewed:  31905 Time(s)

zz5d2401b7_900.jpg

laci

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to the Hatch for my first session of the season yesterday. (For various reasons, mostly Covid related, we didn't get up to our Underwood house until now). Based on posts here I was expecting people in masks on the beach and I dutifully wore my N95 mask getting out of my car. I was surprised to see almost no one in a mask! It was reasonably crowded, like a normal summer wekday and maybe 10% of the people on the beach were wearing masks. It is outdoors and mostly I was able to stay away from others, but walking the path to the water sometimes somebody coming the other way passes by uncomfortably close.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

Thanks for the information and links above. Just ordered a neck gaiter. I started wearing a mask rigging, but not for the walk to/from the water. Neck gaiter solves that issue nicely.
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laci wrote:
I got to the Hatch for my first session of the season yesterday. (For various reasons, mostly Covid related, we didn't get up to our Underwood house until now). Based on posts here I was expecting people in masks on the beach and I dutifully wore my N95 mask getting out of my car. I was surprised to see almost no one in a mask! It was reasonably crowded, like a normal summer wekday and maybe 10% of the people on the beach were wearing masks. It is outdoors and mostly I was able to stay away from others, but walking the path to the water sometimes somebody coming the other way passes by uncomfortably close.

Hi Gang,

It is funny how different launch sites have different cultures. In Southern California and the Bay Area, almost everyone wears masks at launch sites.

While the Gorge seems like a mixed bag... I received this report today:

"Interesting, at Bob’s almost everyone wears a mask unless they’re launching or coming out of the water, but at hatchery very few people do. just a local cultural difference I guess…"

At Bob's Beach, everyone is a local. Maybe the mask issue at the Hatchery is due to the large proportion of short term visitors. While Gorge locals have a lot to lose if the Hatchery closes for rest of the summer.

I have a different perspective from most of the public since my wife is in health care and my best friend is a San Francisco area anesthesiologist while my neighbor is a scientist on the cutting edge of COVID-19 research. And I once taught college classes that covered basic immunology the subject has remained a passion.

The media is doing a crappy job explaining what happens with COVID-19. They mostly focus on death rates and the increasing positivity numbers. What they miss is that COVID-19 is NOT like the flu where you are sick for a while then return to perfect health.

The virus works by binding to ACE-2 receptors sites and those receptos are found in the blood vessels of almost every part of the body. So in many people large parts of the body are damaged. Far worse the virus triggers of a cytokine storm
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359610120300708

which over activates your immune system so that it begins attacking even healthy cells. And this can go on for months in some people of any age.

Even in young people, there can be lung damage deep in the lungs that persists for an unknown period. Since you don't all of your lung capacity you may not aware of the issue until you exercise vigorously:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/lifelong-lung-damage-the-serious-covid-19-complication-that-can-hit-people-in-their-20s

All in all, wearing a mask or at least a neck gaiter is not much of a chore to protect your favorite launch site from closure... and perhaps your life.

Mike Godsey
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My questions about the validity and necessity of wearing masks stem from the rapidly changing advice we're getting from Dr. Fauci and his peers about their use, whom they protect, which types work best, and more. Like the advisability of eating eggs, red meat, and oatmeal, it changes way too often to pay a lot of attention. I haven't seen him on the telly for a couple of days now, but the latest I've heard from him and his peers is that they DO offer some protection to the wearer, social distancing helps, being in direct sunlight REALLY helps, cloth masks are a feel-good wardrobe accessory compared to properly worn official masks, and few amateurs (i.e., US) bother to wear them properly anyway. We've all seen several leading politicians bust Trump's chops about seldom wearing one while their own masks were around their necks or missing completely. (At least Pelosi's dang sure match her outfit even if they are down around her neck.) Smile
westender

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no shortage of non locals at BB this time of year. Masses of paddler people there now but most everybody is good about masking up. Some of the social distancing could be improved by a few of the locals?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/world/asia/japan-coronavirus-masks.html
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: BB Reply with quote

I have a different perspective on the difference in mask use between Bob's and The Hatchery. It's fear related. At Bob's everybody is old, and I
mean everybody. I'm finally old enough looking(and feeling), that I don't
get the hairy eyeball at Bob's any more when it's windy throughout the
Gorge. Even though the sport is pretty geriatric in nature, the Hatchery
crowd is younger than the Bob's beach crowd. So fear of death or long
sickness may be the difference in "Cultures".

-Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: