myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsup users - is it me or the equipment?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anna1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: windsup users - is it me or the equipment? Reply with quote

I recently started windsurfing again and bought a Bic Performer 11'6" with an Aerotech 4.8 windsup rig as an affordable entry point. I was surprised how easy it was to just jump on the board and go after so many decades. However, now I'm trying to work on my form and learn different tacks, etc and I'm finding it really hard. Since I'm a novice I have no idea if this is me or the limitations of the equipment. Specifically, I feel like the sail has no natural balance point so in light wind I feel like I have to hold it up, essentially. If I try to move my hands down the boom in any conditions the mast becomes unstable and I have no control. If I move my feet down the board I feel like the board is unresponsive and unstable. Granted, I'm a total novice so this could be that I'm just not doing it right, but before I drive myself crazy, are these known attributes of this set-up or do I just need to keep learning? Thank you for any experience.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you may not have rigged the sail correctly, which is a common issue for beginners. Next time, take a few pictures of the rigged sail, and post them. It may also help to look at some videos on how to rig a sail. Even if the video is from a different sail company, you may still pick up some pointers.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that you're trying to windsurf in wind conditions that are just too light to do the things you want. Where are you trying to windsurf, and what are the average wind conditions during your sessions?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing what your doing it would be difficult to give you useful advice.
You state your in light wind on a 4.8 sail and you have to hold it up. A small sail in light wind will not have much pull and feel like there is nothing to lean against. That said you should be able to find a balance point where the sail will stand with out falling to lee ward. Most likely the mast needs to be wind ward past vertical to counter the weight of the clue end of the boom. As you move your hands back and sheet the sail in against the breeze, you will feel pull forward and wind ward. You need to resist this pull as the board starts to move forward. As you gain some speed the pull in the sail will reduce and it will be easier to hold the sail. Remember sail forward makes the board go down wind and sail back makes the board go up wind. Learn to use a harness asap to reduce hand and arm fatigue.
As for your feet and board, we would need to see what your doing to suggest what might help. Time on the water always helps learn board and sail balance. Ask locals for advice. Go to A ABK camp. Most here have been windsurfing for a very long time. Me since 1981. I still get excited about a day on the water.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
It could be that you're trying to windsurf in wind conditions that are just too light to do the things you want. Where are you trying to windsurf, and what are the average wind conditions during your sessions?

Nail on the head.

Plus many other variables.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: windsup users - is it me or the equipment? Reply with quote

Greetings Anna, and welcome (back) to the wonderful world of wind
powered sports. I agree with everything said in this thread so far. One more thing to
understand is that a windsup sail like yours isn't the best for
planning conditions, and can be unstable at higher winds, so if your
issue is instability as the wind increases, it could be your gear.
More downhaul might help, but those sails are designed for a lot of pull,
rather than extreme stability. We've got an Aerotech expert here on
the forum somewhere, and he may chime in.

As suggested, take a picture of your rigged sail and post it here. That would be a start.

Also, when you say the board feels unresponsive, does that mean it won't
move forward, or it won't turn, or it won't go in the direction you think
it should? At 11'6" an SUP is going to be pretty slow to respond to foot,
and even sail input with a smaller (say 130Lb) rider on it. NOVAAN's post
about mast position is spot on.

-Craig

p.s. this is long, but might (or might not) be of some use to you.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29368&start=10&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=b94249e0e72fc8b8a22ec1cebaf9196d

anna1 wrote:
I recently started windsurfing again and bought a Bic Performer 11'6" with an Aerotech 4.8 windsup rig as an affordable entry point. I was surprised how easy it was to just jump on the board and go after so many decades. However, now I'm trying to work on my form and learn different tacks, etc and I'm finding it really hard. Since I'm a novice I have no idea if this is me or the limitations of the equipment. Specifically, I feel like the sail has no natural balance point so in light wind I feel like I have to hold it up, essentially. If I try to move my hands down the boom in any conditions the mast becomes unstable and I have no control. If I move my feet down the board I feel like the board is unresponsive and unstable. Granted, I'm a total novice so this could be that I'm just not doing it right, but before I drive myself crazy, are these known attributes of this set-up or do I just need to keep learning? Thank you for any experience.
akrausz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that stood out to me from your post was possibly over-responding with your movements. Perhaps consider feathering your movements to give you a yin and yang action, where you can better feel the performance change resulting from your position adjustments. The feel of the sail is constantly changing with the conditions, and that is amplified when the winds are less consistent and/or gusty. This technique may help you develop feel for the optimal position more systematically.
akrausz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at your sail where the man himself shows you how to rig it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUoRvE8SgHk&t=52s

In my opinion, it should work for the non-planing speeds you appear to be seeking, but it looks to be an unorthodox design used to shorten the rigging time at the expense of performance. It would require upgrading to bring it to average performance while planing.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider a few professional lessons, even if it means flying or driving a long distance. It may advance your skills by years in just days compared to seat of the pants and reading a lot of conflicting and/or confusing ideas. Developing the right feel usually trumps book-larnin' in something as complex as windsurfing.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
Just had a look at your sail where the man himself shows you how to rig it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUoRvE8SgHk&t=52s

In my opinion, it should work for the non-planing speeds you appear to be seeking, but it looks to be an unorthodox design used to shorten the rigging time at the expense of performance. It would require upgrading to bring it to average performance while planing.

Yea, a 2015 design the video says , it’s not very performance oriented, but is that the purpose? It’s a dedicated windsup
I watched the video. Way kool, his next video will show how to thread the downhaul line without crossing it.
James where are you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: