myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roseveldt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtvr7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Roseveldt Reply with quote

Is it open yet???
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked much worse last weekend than it has all summer ... like Godzilla and King Kong had a major rumble in the park. If chopping more trees down means progress, it will be the finest WSing venue on the planet.

Someday.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked today like the wind damage was all cleaned up, including lowest-bidder hack jobs* on most of the remaining trees. However, the park is still heavily posted and barricaded as CLOSED, despite the park closure being billed as protecting us from falling trees. So we called the Corps. The ranger on duty told us the park will open again in the spring, like ALL Corps parks in this area ALWAYS do after ALWAYS closing on Nov 1 (her emphasis). (She didn't want to hear that the park has never been closed due to winter in the 30+ years we've been sailing there all winter, nor that it's Oct 12.) She even sent a ranger out there to make sure we were launching at the cobby ferry landing west of the park. Your taxes at work.

* Just as at home, you don't just saw off limbs that look weak because you have a big elevated chain saw handy. If you expect a tree to thrive, you need to call in an arborist. They completely ignored the two BIG waterfront trees whose death warrant has been signed by beavers.

As usual, there are rumors that they may consider handling Roosevelt like they have for the last several decades: leave the damned park available all winter. No porta potties, no bathrooms, just the quite serviceable pit toilet at the boat ramp.

I plan to call the regional resource manager ASAP to find out how serious they are about keeping it closed all winter. I'm hoping that was an incorrect presumption of a young ranger stuck at work on a holiday. It's neat rigging and launching there in November's crunchy, colorful, ankle deep leaves on a howling, sunny day, especially if the water temp still allows bare foots and a wetsuit.
windaveski

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gate was up when I drove by about 1pm yesterday. When I left around 5, it was down. One sailor parked in main lot .
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got word today from the lead ranger for the John Day pool: Roosevelt is and will remain open for day use (no overnight camping) all winter, as usual. "As usual" means bring your own water, food, toilets (or use the pit toilet at the boat ramp), etc. There is still one porta potty there, but I don't know how much longer it will stay. One foiler yesterday said he prefers the ferry landing anyway, because it isn't as choked with milfoil as the main park is. Right now the water level is high enough that the milfoil isn't bad for WS boards/fins, but if the water level returns to normal, it will be weed fin time again.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote:
There is still one porta potty there, but I don't know how much longer it will stay.

I do now; it's gone. It's BYOB for #1, the pit toilet 100 yards away for #2 ... please!
combs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Roosevelt Reply with quote

Any updates as to the windsurf launch and campground opening this Spring?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It opened last fall and is never routinely closed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: