myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Gorge is not your toilet. Or universal dump for plastic.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of permanently removing (packing out) poop. But really, who is going to do that? Especially in an emergency (loose stool or worse) situation?
Really? You would do that? Be real and be honest. Really. I commend those who pack out their own poop, everywhere. Especially the summit of Mt. Hood (the pinnacle of so much drinking water, thoroughly peppered with frozen logs and smears; check it out next time you're up there. Darkly funny, but ultimately shameful.). But I don't believe anywhere near most people will do this. So I propose a very simple solution that most should require much convincing to use, the slit trench with users covering up the poop with a stick. So easy!

Over a long time, poop will break down underground. I think it takes about a year. You can look it up and study it. It's pretty standard basic emergency poop treatment. If poop is not covered up, other animals get into into it and spread it and whatever is in it (Covid19 perhaps?). This is the exact same reason why it is necessary for dog owners to pick up their dogs' poops IMMEDIATELY and not leave it wrapped in a bow like a gift for somebody else to pick up later. In the meantime, like the saying goes, shit runs downhill. And shortly downhill from this "latrine" is the river. And immediately downstream 1/4 mile are hundreds of kiters, foilers, windsurfers, fishermen, etc.

Maybe the ultimate solution is a vault toilet, or at least a portapotty. But my idea is merely a solution that I can effect quickly and without any convincing of sticks in the mud and blowhards of anything different. I am encouraging people to use it. And to help me by the litterer(s) picking up the mess (blue plastic litter) that was left behind numerous times already. (This last part should require NO convincing. Just do it. Because it's the right thing.)

A lot of people just want to bitch about stuff and be the top authority on every subject. I want to make something beneficial happen. Any actual help appreciated.
merriam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly Biff, we do use them. For example at the west launch of 3 Mile there is no other option. No problem, we just have a few in our van if the need arises. They are well designed with chemicals that reduce odor and firm things up if needed and they are double bagged, never had one leak. Just throw it away in the nearest trash can. I try to never walk my dog without having a dogie bag handy, same idea here.

If it was a true emergency I agree that burying the evidence is better than leaving it exposed, and burning the TP is a good idea.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't poop in the "latrine". If I had, I would've 1) dug a hole with a random stick, 2) dropped dookie into hole, 3) wiped butt with paper (TP that I keep in car for just this situation, but a McDonald's napkin degrades quickly too), and 4) buried it with the same stick. This is pretty standard decent behavior for emergencies.

Poop does not simply "vanish" into thin air magically. It sits there, dries out, crumbles, gets diluted by rain, gets stepped on, gets tracked into your car/home/store, gets eaten, and runs into the earth and into the river, into your mouth/nose (if you are downstream of the Rufus grain elevators), then the ocean. There is a reason there are health alerts every summer in the Gorge due to sewage overflows from the Dalles sewage/water treatment center. Please deal with your (and your dogs') poops appropriately. And pack out your litter (such as blue plastic wipes).

The blue wipes left behind by some other regular user of this beach are NOT paper. They are PLASTIC litter. And they should be packed out and disposed of as garbage. It is extremely uncool to litter anywhere, no matter how cool of a watersports athlete you are.
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Really? Reply with quote

Bienvenidos a Mexico cabrones!! Arguing over how and when to take a crap near a public area!? Just don't do it!!! If you can't get to a bathroom before or after, then don't show up!!! That simple jackasses!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, one should dump before, after, or elsewhere (such as the vault toilet 1/4 mile west by the Rufus rockpiles. However, I admit there are emergencies, especially for those with bowel disorders. In case of emergency dump need, dig a hole, dump, and cover it. And there is never excuse for littering (blue plastic wipes). Use a biodegradable paper napkin or toilet paper.

Somebody(s) at the aforementioned beautiful little beach near the grain elevator is a regular dumper/litterer, for whatever reason. It's disgusting and an afront to the Gorge. Education, assistance (picking up the trash, yes, please, you who left it there in the first place), and an emergency latrine are the solutions. Yeah, I am willing to dig the slit trench too.

If the behavior continues as is (with zero fucks given and zero solution), this beach (AND Rufus) eventually becomes even more disgusting, especially for the Rufus folks in the low-current kite bay/eddy just downstream. How long will it take before cute little baby blue wipes start to swirl and collect in the eddy there? Yummy!

I love the Gorge and will speak out and do what I can to make it better.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least once a month I clean out the changing booths down at The Hook. People often use them as garbage cans and on several occasions, I've been disgusted to find human poop and toilet paper in there. It's shameful! Thank goodness The Port of Hood River has now placed a porta-potty at The Hook!
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff,
I think you may be misreading the situation. I use that launch often and my sailing partner and I both strongly believe the waste is being left by homeless people and/or those who do not sail. I am not sure posting displeasure on this medium is going to change the outcome of the situation based on frequenting this launch.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sublime beach that deserves my loud mouth as protection, even if it is in vain OR pisses off hot shots. I have known some wind sport participants to be quite selfish and narcissistic. It is not beyond such people to hog multiple parking spots, ignore local rules, and litter. In fact, I find it to be quite common in the Gorge. Because "Get some!".

The blue often-medicated wipes are too expensive for most homeless people to afford to use on a regular basis. So I think it is likely that the majority of that blue non-degradable litter belongs to a typical narcissistic wind sport participant who uses that beach on a regular basis and is fully-prepared to dump after his/her normal post-Starbucks so as not to disturb her/his session. That is my theory. I will post until the cows come home if I think it will improve the situation by penetrating a dense skull or two. And I don't give a shit who hates me about it. In fact, I am surprised anybody gets on me for trying to be a fricking Lorax for the sacred Columbia River. Next time I go out there (soon!), I am trenching and puting up discrete signage that anybody can read.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: April visit with shovel and PPE Reply with quote

I went to the beach with mask, gloves, shovel, and signage, expecting to pick up blue wipes, trench, and hammer in a sign instructing to poop and cover the poo. It did not look like a homeless camp. I found no evidence of poop OR blue wipes/plastic (which, again, is NOT biodegradable). The possible reasons are: 1) the poop and plastic got picked up by a do-gooder before I got there. 2) The winter rain washed away the poop and plastic. 3) A combination of the two.

Seeing as there was no evident problem anymore, I decided not to trench and sign. Why encourage pooping in the shrubbery when the vault toilet about 150 yards west is now open and usable?

Please respect the Gorge and other humans/animals by using that toilet, instead of pooping and littering on the beach. Thank you.
merriam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Biff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: