myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Scammers on i kiitesurf.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjjstastny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Scammers on i kiitesurf.com Reply with quote

Have any of you kaiders out there had issues with so many people trying to sell equipment that are not legit. I've had a few people leave messages on my voicemail they sound like they're from Sudan Africa heavy heavy African accents. so tired of it has anybody else had the same issue
madmanex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in the Bay Area with heavy accents??!! Surely this can't be.

Implying that someone with a heavy accent can't be a legitimate seller seems a little narrow minded.

There may be scammers pretending to buy/sell equipment, but how about providing an example of the scam instead of saying accent=scam?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get several thousand OBVIOUS scam phone calls per year on my home phone. Virtually every such caller has a thick, often incomprehensible, African or Middle Eastern accent. Add a roomful of such callers in the boiler room and the cacophony is overwhelming. I need to answer most calls because many are from my medical providers and caller ID is useless any more. What I say or do once their true ID is revealed is a whole 'nuther story.

The same paradigm applies to fraudulent buy/sell offers. Warning: cashiers' checks are easily and very often faked. "I'll pay twice what you're asking and pay the shipping costs" ... ON A 14-YO VAN? RIIIIIGHT!

Where there's smoke there's fire, and most such scammers, phone or internet, are from those regions where scamming is untouchable by the U.S. legal system and encouraged by many such nations because of the absolutely immense revenue it brings home.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya want an example?

"Ben Baker" responded to my iW ad thusly:
"Please send picture and latest price".

RED FLAG: My ad has THREE pictures and the ad clearly states the price (his bot failed to tell him that). I told him as much, and added "Sorry, dude … I smell a scam. I’m guessing you have no clue what I’m selling.
How about we meet face to face and swap the goods for cash?"

Subject: Your Details Needed!!! [now he's demanding a response]

"Hello,
Thanks for the answer. I want you to understand my carrier
You will be responsible for the collection once you have confirmed the
cashier's check
Payment is clearly in order in your account. I hope to read from you with yours
Details below

Name on the cashier's check
Home address
Post Code
Mobile & landline

You don't have to worry about it because my freight forwarder
professionals are okay.

Greetings.
"

Now we have more than a dozen red flags, including nonsense, strange grammar and context, ye olde "cashier's check" BS, and the term "post code". Next things he'll want will be my birth date and SSN. And NOBODY, not even my doctors or best friends, has legitimate knowledge of my cell phone ... er, mobile ... number.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scammers on i kiitesurf.com Reply with quote

kjjstastny wrote:
Have any of you kaiders out there had issues with so many people trying to sell equipment that are not legit. I've had a few people leave messages on my voicemail they sound like they're from Sudan Africa heavy heavy African accents. so tired of it has anybody else had the same issue

I hear ya. I do both, and iKitesurf definitely has more scammers buzzing around it. I've bought plenty of stuff off both iWindsurf & iKitesurf, and have had really good experiences; just use general precautions:
1. If it looks too good to be true, it IS.
2. Use paypal to pay for things and make SURE you don't fall for the "can you make a gift" to avoid the fees line, because that removes your buyer protections.
3. Be wary of grossly deformed English in the posting.
4. Avoid any postings that can't figure out how to add pictures, I mean....what ELSE is going to be too hard for them to manage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: