myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy sail spacing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonputman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Ezzy sail spacing Reply with quote

My quiver

- Boards:
Flikka FSW 107L
Thommen Gleitwunder 155L

- Sails:
Ezzy Panther II 4.2
Ezzy Panther 4.7
Ezzy Panther 5.5
North X-Type 6.6
North X-Type 7.8

- Masts:
North Platinum SDM 460
North Platinum SDM 400

- Boom:
North Silver 160-220

So my 6.6 is RIP and my 5.5 is almost out of business

Could I go with a 4 sail quiver?
4.2, 4,7, 5.8, 7.8
So the jumps would be: 0.5m, 1.1m, 2.0m (to much spacing 2.0m?)

I was thinking about a 5.8 Ezzy Legacy maybe, than when the 7.8 X-Type is burned out get a 7.5 Legacy / Cheetah.

Would that make any sense? Suggestions?
Cheers
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anton,

I think it could work, but what gives me pause is this: Did you wear out the 6.6 and the 5.5 because they were the most used? If so, did each fit the most often experienced wind conditions and have their niche spot? If so, reducing to one sail for those two might leave you unsatisfied.

I have a new Ezzy Wave 5.8 for this last year and really like it. I also have an Ezzy Cheetah 7.0 and really like it. I have never had a Legacy, so I cannot give you a direct comparison.

W1
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to think you need to build your quiver around your most used sail. Then your second most use sail.
I have used most of Ezzy's sails. The legacy sail is a very good sail. In the smaller sizes its designed after the panther wave sail with 5 battens. In the larger sizes its like the Free ride with 6 battens. If your going to take your sails into the surf, I would go with the Ezzy wave. Just a bit more bomb proof.
If your going to use them for free ride, then the Legacy is great. The Cheetah is one of the most liked sail for free ride. If your looking for the most range from each sail its important to use the mast that is designed for the sails. Stay with one sail brand. Sizing and handling very from brand to brand
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ezzy sail spacing Reply with quote

I wouldn't, your current sizing is pretty much perfect.

-Craig

antonputman wrote:
My quiver

- Boards:
Flikka FSW 107L
Thommen Gleitwunder 155L

- Sails:
Ezzy Panther II 4.2
Ezzy Panther 4.7
Ezzy Panther 5.5
North X-Type 6.6
North X-Type 7.8

- Masts:
North Platinum SDM 460
North Platinum SDM 400

- Boom:
North Silver 160-220

So my 6.6 is RIP and my 5.5 is almost out of business

Could I go with a 4 sail quiver?
4.2, 4,7, 5.8, 7.8
So the jumps would be: 0.5m, 1.1m, 2.0m (to much spacing 2.0m?)

I was thinking about a 5.8 Ezzy Legacy maybe, than when the 7.8 X-Type is burned out get a 7.5 Legacy / Cheetah.

Would that make any sense? Suggestions?
Cheers
antonputman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys Smile

Yeah I think my most used sail would be the 6.6.
It was a total loss in a washing machine break, big mistake to even think going out to pick up some light winds.
The sail was shredded in pieces, I was glad the mast and board survived.

Second most used sails would be the 5.5 Ezzy Panther, which keeps to surprise me, the film is so soft and washed out but the X-Ply fibers keep everything together. I remember to read somewhere Ezzy uses Spectra fibers braided with the black polyester yarn, indeed you can see both black and white fibers laminated in the X-Ply.

The 4.7 and 5.5 Panthers I bought used at least 5 years ago (build year 2009) for a bargain and never expected to keep up for so long. The sewn in draft is still amazing offering big wind ranges. They work great with my North SDM Masts. I rig the 5.5 with the 460 mast using the vario top to correct for too much mast and it works great, not perfectly but more than good enough.

I bought The North X-Types new when I re-started windsurfing with a 125L Tabou Rocket, they are build year 2011.
I liked Norths 400, 460 mast rig anything concept and choose North because I have a yacht racing background. Broke the hollow carbon tube battens in both X-Types continuously I started to hate the monofilm.
The 7.8 works very well on my 155L board in light winds, I can pump up to the plane when others are parked. I can only imagine how much better something like an Ezzy Cheetha or even Lion would be.

So 6.6, 5.5 are my most used sails, and than 4.7 and 7.8. Strangely those last two sails are the ones I had to repair with a new central panel and some small other repairs.

I am thinking about Ezzy Legacy just because of budget issues. 800€ for a new sail like a Cheetah, Tiger or Zeta can not be a priority at the moment, let alone 2 of them. a 5.8 Legacy is 500€.
I would like to buy used but they are very difficult to find here in Italy, especially in the 5+ sizes. At the moment there is a guy with 5.8 and 6.0 Wave Special Editions for sale but they are build year 2006 and I think they would lack the range I am looking for.

I am very happy with my 5 sail quiver spacing right now and I understand changing to a 4 sail setup would put a lot of wear an tear on a 5.8 sail. Even new with a wider range if anything happens I would be out of business for a while.

Ideally I would need to find a 5.8 Zeta and a 6.5 Cheetah and than another 8.0 Cheetah or 7.5 Lion
It's almost 9 months I am on the lookout for such Ezzy, but nada. That is why if I am forced to buy new, a Legacy would come to the rescue.

Should I just replace the 6.6 with a 6.5 Legacy than?
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan that works for you.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I used to be in a similar boat. I was 160lbs roughly. (What's your weight?)
105L wave-oriented freeride and Formula board. I went from 5.3/5.5 to 7.0.
I could use the 7.0 on both boards. I did have a 6.0 but never used it.

The 7.0 would get me going when there wasn't enough to do some bump & jump. Now, as soon as possible I like to be on smaller gear and that's probably why it worked for me.

If your priority is to blast around and pass everyone, you'll miss 6.x sails. If you enjoy carving, free sailing, jumps and such then a 5.8 will take you there without the slower feel of larger sails.

You can play around with my quiver calculator which is based on wind range:
http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/

Forgot an important point, to be able to rig two sails with different masts. Otherwise you'd have to derig and rerig each time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: