myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing in the Los Angeles area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2000 12:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Sailing in the Los Angeles area Reply with quote

Sucks big time. Lived there for 4 yrs from 90-94. They get a bonner if they can use anything below a 5.5 sail. For anything decent, you have to drive to Jalama, which is North of Santa Barbra. By then, you are practically in Nor Cal.
bketcham

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2000 6:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Sailing in the Los Angeles area Reply with quote

I Live in San Diego where the wind is lite but the surfsailing is great for beginners. If you like strong winds and big surf Punta San Carlos is only6.5 hours from the border and Jalama is only 2 to 3 hours from LA. If you dont mind traveling to find wind LA is not that Bad. Brian
realkitty

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2000 10:31 am    Post subject: RE: Sailing in the Los Angeles area Reply with quote

There are numerous good launches in the LA area. Number is Cabrillo Beach, in San Pedro, about 25 from downtown LA. Check out www.captainkirks.com for a very complete breakdown of the conditions at Cabrillo Beach. Other area spots are Seal Beach, Bolsa Chica, and Leo Carillo. Jalama is about a 3 hour drive, San Carlos about 10 hours
scott

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2000 12:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Sailing in the Los Angeles area Reply with quote

Go to the Iwindsurf location for Cabrillo Beach ! And also, http://members.aol.com/CA2winsurf/Index.html
for The California Windsurf Sites and Roadtrip book.
Scott Carter
LA Windsurfing
Mr.Flibble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2000 3:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Sailing in the Los Angeles area Reply with quote

I lived in NYC for several years and now live in LA. I woould say that sailing here is much better than the sailing on Long Island. I sail Cabrillo regularly and take the occassional trip north to Isabella or the Bay area. There really is no comparing CA to NY windsurfing, its just better out here.
dcrispin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 12:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Sailing in the Los Angeles area Reply with quote

I live & work 30 min north of LA in Thousand Oaks, a great city to live and raise kids in. In 30 minutes I can be on the beach at Leo Carillo. A core group of about a dozen board and kite sailors are near daily regulars. Swells have been 2 to 4 feet with 12 to 18 winds daily. I had a whale breach about 100 yards from me a month ago, and see dolphins regularly. Its a rocky launch but the natural beauty of the place has me hooked. Cabrillo attracts more like a hundred sailors on an average weekend day and is more of a traffic scene and costs $6 to park. Parking at Leo is free on Pacific Coast Highway. Bring a long board to surf if the wind is down or you can camp if you reserve a site way in advance. To me the place is gold.
davidkaron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 2:42 am    Post subject: RE: Sailing in the Los Angeles area Reply with quote

I grew up sailing on Long Island and have now been living in LA for about 7 years. The Windsurfing I think is very similar. Wind is usually about 15 to 25 MPH. The biggest difference to me is that in LA, you can sail year round if you want. I would not even think about sailing in NY in January. If you move out to LA, let me know. I am always looking for a good sailing buddy.

mailto:david@planetminidisc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: