myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quiver for Couples?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pau1karr

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 4:44 pm    Post subject: Quiver for Couples? Reply with quote

Can anybody recommend a sail quiver that would please both a petite wife intermediate sailor and experienced husband? We sail primarily at Coyote Pt and 3rd Ave with occasional Crissy launches. Wife concerned about lightness of sails and prefers a camber to help clear the sail when doing water starts.
nmorita

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2000 7:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Quiver for Couples? Reply with quote

You mention that shes petite, but neglect to describe him! If our experience is any guide (me: 120lb, he:190lb) you can forget sharing many sails. I like light rigs that are easy to handle, he likes power; we only agree on neilpryde, mine are MPRs, his are V-6, V-8s. My sails are generally too twitchy for him, his sails usually too stiff (& heavy) for me. We also sail@Coyote (red Honda wagon w/gorge-rax)--introduce yourself!
jsrubin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2000 7:43 am    Post subject: RE: Quiver for Couples? Reply with quote

My husband and I share a quiver. Im 120lb, hes around 160lb. We also have stuck with the Neil Prydes. Larger sizes are V8s (5.5 through 8.0), smaller are MPR and NR. With our weight difference, were typically 1 sail off each other which works well if the wind increases or decreases ... one of us is already rigged with only a boom change needed. Keep in mind though that were east coast sailors and dont get alot of real windy days ...
dakings

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2000 11:54 am    Post subject: RE: Quiver for Couples? Reply with quote

We are a very similar couple. My wife weighs approximately 110 lbs and I weigh 180 lbs. She is an intermediate sailor and I am an experienced sailor. We sail mostly on Vancouver Island (Nitinat) and the Gorge. As you can imagine we are constantly trying to determine the best sail quiver and boards for a couple and we think we have it.

The most success we have had is with Sailworks Revolution Sails. They are light and have no cams. There are a number of other manufacturers that have similar sails that are as good. Our quiver includes a 6.5 (my big sail), 5.6 (my wifes big sail), 5.0, 4.4, 3.8, 3.2 (my wifes small sail or the one I use when its nuclear). I dont think you need a cam in order to clear the water effectively when water starting. These sails are just as easy. One other thing that I would add is to ensure that the total rig is light with a light mast and boom.

Happy sailing.
realkitty

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2000 10:11 am    Post subject: RE: Quiver for Couples? Reply with quote

Best choice for both of you would be a cam convertible wave sail, like the Ezzy Wave or Ezzy Ultra-Light Wave. Both come with an easy to install & remove cam, so youd both be happy, especially with the ultra-light if shes concerned about sail weight. You only need the full on wave sails if you are actually sailing in the waves. I have Ezzy2000 Ultra-Lights for 25% off if you are interested, my husband owns Capt. Kirks, an authorized Ezzy Dealer.
jmblaney

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2000 12:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Quiver for Couples? Reply with quote

My wife and I usually sail Coyote, Berkeley, and Sherman Island. She weighs about 125 and Im about 160. We use Windwings: 5.7 Synthesis (2 cam), 4.8 Black Diamond Slalom (3 cam; a 96 that Ill replace soon with an Interface light), 4.2 Interface (1 cam), and 3.5 Catalyst (0 cam).

Shes always one sail size smaller and one size board smaller than me; this works out great. As the wind moves up/down, weve always got at least one rig that will be right...

jmblaney@pacbell.net
cascblu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 9:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Quiver for Couples? Reply with quote

We are both coast/gorge sailors and use Ezzy Powerwaves. The cam can be removed at the coast if you want. The new ones are lighter but we are using 99s now. It is our 3rd set. You can trade in the old ones irregardless of condition for set price at Windance.
surfnsuds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 5:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Quiver for Couples? Reply with quote

My wife is about 110# and I am about 205# and we basically have a big quiver os boards and sails we can share. I uaully sail about 2m larger than she does.

We sail in Aruba more than anywhere these days, but we sail Coyote too, where she stays on the inside on her 3.5 or 4.0 and I go outside on 5.5 or 6.5. (Look for a rusted white Nissan pickup with a wooden extension to the oversize cap, and an Aruba plate on the extension. Cant miss it. Green NBA bug logo on the tail gate).

We had what we felt was the perfect quiver in the Sailworks Bravo: 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 (her sails) 5.5, 6.5, 7.5 (my sails). Or course if it really nuked, I got to use her sails, but that was rare and I usually ended up hurting her stuff, I am sad to say. We were both REALLY bummed when they stopped making this terrific, rangey, light, comfy sail. I tried the Retro a couple times and I just didnt like the loss of the camber.

I ended up replacing my 5.5 and 6.5 with Naish Alanas, which are pretty good, but not as rangey and a little harder to rig than the Bravo. She was more successful in finding replacements in the Niel Pryde MPR sails. She likes them just fine. I never tried them in the larger size, but by the looks of them I would like them just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: