myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fragile wind forcast for 17 knots?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hwyeh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2000 12:24 pm    Post subject: Fragile wind forcast for 17 knots? Reply with quote

Whats wrong with 17 knots of consistant south wind for the Jersey coast yesterday? Your prediction called for fragile, pulsing wind, and thought it would be much less than 15 knots. Well, because of your mis-forcast, we missed a perfectly good day. Good enough for us consider that we havent sail in 2 months and there was only one windy day on the weekend during that time...which we couldnt go! What do we need your service for if you cant do better than the weather channel on wind prediction!?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2000 3:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Fragile wind forcast for 17 knots? Reply with quote

Do you live too far away to watch conditions and split when it starts to blow? NOW is much more reliable than TOMORROW or LATER. The last thing we can make plans on -- either way -- is ANY forecast; winds are simply that tough to forecast, ESPECIALLY the difference between 17 and 15 knots. Youre complaining about a 12% departure in a wind forecast! Time to get a different sport, or get some perspective. For 15 years I had to drive 185 miles to get wet, in a region where wind forecasts could be off by 30-40 knots ... either away. Ya live with it or ya changes sports.

Mike \m/
jhanrah1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2000 1:39 am    Post subject: RE: Fragile wind forcast for 17 knots? Reply with quote

My philosophy is get the wind when Its there. If there calling for wind then GO, and if there not calling for wind then GO anyway,chances are there will be some wind. Any day on the water is a good day, I dont care what its blowing.
Height

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2000 8:09 am    Post subject: RE: Fragile wind forcast for 17 knots? Reply with quote

Youve got to be kidding! I live in Seaside Park NJ. In the past two months Ive sailed a 5.3 at least a half a dozen times (overpowered) Ive sailed a 6.3 at least a half dozen times, and the rest of the summer Ive used really big sails. There were only two weeks when it didnt blow, and I still got out on a 9.3. Its been a great summer and I cant wait for the Fall!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: