myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
South of Spain- Terrifa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prev1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2000 8:44 pm    Post subject: South of Spain- Terrifa? Reply with quote

(I dont know about the spelling) The place I visited was in the most southern part of Spain. I remember their T shirts saying windy 365 days a year. Ever hear of it or sail there? I was not really a windsurfer at the time and I got my ass kicked in big wind and waves. The girls were at least topless and many completly nude. It was a cool place but I never see it talked about in windsurfing mags. Why?
JosefK

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 10:33 am    Post subject: RE: South of Spain- Terrifa? Reply with quote

Its called Tarifa. I was there twice and its really a nice place. Its got beautiful beaches all the way down to Cadiz.
Unfortunately the wind is not very predictable. It either blows really hard, or you just get nice weather and no wind.
I have seen many articles in the European Windsurf magazines.
If you really wonna get excellent sailing conditions I would recommand to go to the Canary Islands.
prev1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2000 2:05 pm    Post subject: RE: South of Spain- Terrifa? Reply with quote

Thanks, I wasnt thinking about going there I just was wondering if it was a windsurfing destination.
merdike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 1:37 pm    Post subject: RE: South of Spain- Terrifa? Reply with quote

Spent a month in July 95 (temp: 80-100s, no rain, water +70s). Best windsurf vacation ever, as we camped on a mattress (never rained) 20 feet above water in campsite. Youll need a car, as in the summer, El Levante blows out of the south, starting as a thermal in the Dune area before scaling to a Force 8, 9 or 10 in Tarifa.

Then its time to head to Canos de La meca(40km N.), a rock ledge left wave break. The only place I sailed on a 3.4 comfortably, my first ocean session. Can get crowded, but low tide is mellow and you can sail on outside. A point 1/2 km up north offers some protection against a breakdown.

It can get crowded, but the sailing is phenomonal, nightlife incredible.

In the winter, El ponente blows out of the north west, generating a swell. Can last weeks, temp. in 70s, water 60-70s. Town is as active in Summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: