myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sliding Sideways
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nainoa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2000 9:19 am    Post subject: Sliding Sideways Reply with quote

Just getting so I can sail OK on a shorter board (264) but yesterday a new problem cropped up. Especially after getting a little air off some chop and trying to stay upwind as much as possible, it suddenly feels like the fin has fallen off and I seem to be sliding sideways. Oh yeah, Im hooked in, on a plane, in the straps, feeling pretty cool. Whats going on, how can I keep this from happening, and what do I do to get out of this situation. None of the foot or rig steering techniques seem to work. Appreciate any help any of you can give. Thanx.
Nainoa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2000 12:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Sliding Sideways Reply with quote

Thanks mucho for the help.
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2000 2:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Sliding Sideways Reply with quote

you are spinning out. a common problem that occurs when the fin begins cavitating. when this happens, fin looses all ability to provide lift and tracking for the board.

This is from air bubbles getting around the fin. The fin feels like its gone, and is difficult to get it to start planing properly again.

To remedy, think of getting rid of the air bubbles.

things to try:

1). step harder on your back foot, over the fin

2). slow down if you cant recover, and steer a bit downwind

3). chop hop out of it

things to check to prevent the spin out:

1). check your fin, for nicks, and cracks, or alterations

2). check to see if you are using the wrong fin.
You may have too small a fin for the sail/board.

3). check rear footstraps to make sure your foot near the leading edge of the fin.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:16 am    Post subject: RE: Sliding Sideways Reply with quote

I want to add that the
you might be using too small a fin
is most likely true when pointing.
you can prevent much of the spin-outs by purchasing a bigger fin that has a slot in it (refered to as: slotted)

As for recovery:
As soon as you spin-out, YOU Should pull your feet (while in straps) to your butt and push off the wind.
You can say its like your yanking the tail of your board upwind to your butt. And Push off (way off) the wind. You can also say that the faster you yank tail and push mast (cute enyouendo) the faster youll be back on track.

Happy shreds....

joeyyyyyyyyyyy

P.s. If spin-out is happening when landing jumps, then try and land pointing down wind...
It DOSENT matter nose or tail first. its just easier tail first.
dmaxd03

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 12:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Sliding Sideways Reply with quote

It happens, but thanks to some unknown person who clued me in, it doesnt happen so much any more. One big thing is dont sheet in when you land, actually sheet out, because this is part of what points you upwind while landing. Also, if you are pointing up in your jumps kick the board kinda up behind you so that it turns vertical to the water. This gives much more windage on the board and will help spin your nose downwind. last little thing- a warning- if you have spun out really badly dont try to get it back on track by using foot pressure to turn down wind. Its kinda like catching your front edge snowboarding, you go down fast and hard. Sometimes its better to just accept your spin out fall to windward and waterstart again. Hope dat helps,

max
hamblett

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 3:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Sliding Sideways Reply with quote

I wanted to add a word of caution to the statement kick the board kinda up behind you so that it turns vertical to the water...
If you do this at high speed and dont get enough air to flatten out the board before you land, BE CAREFUL. Ive turned my board at about a 45 degree angle (give or take) and ended up landing on the rail and fell HARD over the bars. In one instance, I sheared my sail in half by crashing this way.

Im still learning how to not kill myself by catching air, which I might add is a byproduct of speed and chop. If you have speed and theres chop, youre at some point going to catch air. Sometimes whether you want to or not.

Regarding spin out... if youre feet are sensitive to the board, youll feel the fin want to spin out when going upwind. Sometimes its drastic (like when hitting chop) and sometimes you can feel it begin to happen. When this happens, lighten up the pressure on the fin and bear away a little (for more speed). When it happens abruptly, the other responses are great. Its pretty much one of those things that you have to figure out by additional water time. It still happens to me sometimes and regardless of what Ive read, I never remember it when Im sailing. Just keep practicing!
snmhanson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2000 12:40 am    Post subject: RE: Sliding Sideways Reply with quote

When youre in the air point the nose of your board down wind a little to keep you from spinning out on landing. Youll probably land a little flatter than youre used to so be ready for it. Maybe keep your weight back on the tail a little until you can dial it in. If youre spinning out while sailing in choppy water bend your knees and try to absord the chop like youre skiing bumps. Look ahead of where youre sailing. And like everything else in sailing, bend your knees.
andrewblair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2001 8:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Sliding Sideways Reply with quote

I must also thank all of you for this thread. I have been trying to tackle this problem for so long, I cant wait until the ice melts here so I can get on the water! I considered sailing around the perimeter of the lakes where its starting to thaw, but then theres the pesky tacking issue. Sad
haridass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2001 10:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Sliding Sideways Reply with quote

your fin gets an air bubble and does not hold traction in the water. either bet a slotted fin (not worth it in my opinion) or just make sure to pull the board under your butt when landing jumps and not pushing out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: