myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What size sail to beachstart?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nosmas1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 1:22 am    Post subject: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

Hi, Im a beginner and want to attempt to beachstart. Im using a Starboard GO. I am 175 lb. How big of a sail do I need. Same question for my son, 98 lb. Can it be a trainner type sail with just one batten? Thanks.

Aloha,
Sam
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 1:27 am    Post subject: RE: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

Any Sail you can control, can be beach started. Beach starting is your first step to water starting.... keep at it...
Happy Sailing..
joeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
nosmas1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 3:33 am    Post subject: RE: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

Joeyyyyyyyyyyyyy,, thanks, that is encouraging. dont hav eto dish out more money for another sail.
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 1:51 am    Post subject: RE: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

You can learn the beachstart with any sail. I think its a good idea to start smaller.

Once you get the idea, then I would suggest trying with a sail that is more suited to the conditions and your size.

Floaty board is a good idea too, for now. So the GO is a great one to work with.

What you should learn is to be able to situate the board with sail control, so your back foot can rest on the board in knee deep water.
Then in a simultaneous move, push off with the other foot and raise the sail to mount the board.

Try to straighten out the board, and get in a position on the board where you are balanced.

Then when you try with larger sails, then you sheet in, and eventually plane. You will have more sail to deal with, but learn how to manage the power by moving the rig with two hands on the boom to feel where the power is. Then when you raise the sail, anticipate the power, and bend your knees/crouch down more to counter the pull.

Once you get the beach start wired, then move out in deeper water. Then eventually the water start.

If you round up, tilt the rig forward.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 2:42 am    Post subject: RE: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

I know others here are saying to use a smaller sail in the beginning, But I disagree.
Use the same sail you would if you were to uphaul.
After a couple of succesful starts, and your out in the middle of lake, start going through the water start process. A little at a time before you uphaul.
after a while you will not even think about the beach starts and will be mainly working on the water starts.

In My opinion, the water start is the same as the beach start, except that on the beach you are standing on your feet and able to possition the sail more easily.

shredd it up and have fun.......
joeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
nosmas1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 3:31 am    Post subject: RE: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

Spyder,

Thanks for the helpful hints. Will try again wwith your hints in mind. So far unsuccessful. Not giving up.

Aloha, Sam
nosmas1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 3:39 am    Post subject: RE: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

Thanks, I think I agree with the small sail idea. Its a struggle just to get on without having to deal w/ the sail as well. Atleast I think so since I havent been sucessful yet.

Sam
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 4:20 pm    Post subject: RE: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

sam -- are you here in HI? which island?
nosmas1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 3:03 am    Post subject: RE: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

Hey Spyder, Yeah, Im on Oahu. In fact, my son and I were able to beach start for the first time at Kailua Beach. Thanks for the suggestions.

Aloha,
Sam
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 2:13 am    Post subject: RE: What size sail to beachstart? Reply with quote

wanna meet at the beach park? Im here too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: