myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Appropriate Sail Size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nosmas1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 4:45 pm    Post subject: Appropriate Sail Size Reply with quote

Obviously a beginners question. What happens if I use a sail smaller than the recommended size by the board manufacture? My son cannot uphaul some of the sizes of sail that is recommended. Thanks.
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 4:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Appropriate Sail Size Reply with quote

we covered this in previous posts, so look through the older ones.
But for a quick answer, the smaller sail that goes below the boards range will cause a problem with the location of the footstraps and center of effort of the sail.

In your sons case, you will be ok to use the smaller sails on this board. This board must not be a beginner board then.

You should put the mast base all the way back in the track (towards the tail), and just use the smaller sail to learn. He wont be in the footstraps anyway.

what board is he on anyway?
nosmas1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 1:55 am    Post subject: RE: Appropriate Sail Size Reply with quote

hey spyder, thanks for the tips. hes using a starboard go and a 2.7 sailwork trainer, but i am thinking about getting him a bic techno 273 and the sail range starts from 5.5 i believe. he has a difficult time handling that size. by the way do you think the techno 273 (125 l) wouldbe too small for him? hes 98 lbs. thanks.
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 4:33 am    Post subject: RE: Appropriate Sail Size Reply with quote

I think he needs more work on a bigger board before going to a 273. A 273 is still a fairly small board for a beginner. Although, for him, its not too bad, since he is 98 lbs. I would do a bit more research and training on the GO, before you commit to a board for him.

If he is doing ok on the GO, then hang with that. I would get him to the point where he can handle the 5.5 (based on the conditions).

IMHO, I think he should graduate to a real sail, and stick with the bigger board. That 2.7 trainer is good for real early stages, but after he can tack/jibe the board, I would go to a real sail.

Where are you sailing? Lake, ocean, bay? where?
nosmas1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 2:57 am    Post subject: RE: Appropriate Sail Size Reply with quote

Hey Spyder, Thanks. Youve confirmed my decision not to go with another trainer only bigger. Do you think a sail with 3 battens like the Pacific Beam or Aerotechs version of the same would be right?

Were sailing on Kailua Bay in Oahu. Ocean, small chops and small waves. Winds usually about 8-18 mph.
spyder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 1:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Appropriate Sail Size Reply with quote

Sorry I have no idea about those sails. But we are neighbors...

Wanna set up a time to meet at the beach park?
laudermouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 3:39 am    Post subject: RE: Appropriate Sail Size Reply with quote

hey code name spyder its code name laudermouth, been watching your boy at the boat ramp this last week. Hes jamming the sail fine its that sidewalk hes trying to sail on. you need to stay on that one and go talk to rick naish about the smllest mistral board that still has a daggerboard, you and your son have no idea what lateral resitence(oh well on the spelling) is. with a daggerboard you and your boy could sail from the beach park up into lanikai and back ,and then youll be jammming, come on brada sam come join me and my boy you know him him hes da 41 52lb. shearder on the 1.7m. naish sail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: