myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
how to rig sail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddyb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 6:44 pm    Post subject: how to rig sail Reply with quote

i am a beginner sailor and have ended up with a xantos 295 board with a 7.0 racing sail with four cambers. i am having a tough time rigging the sail. when i try to downhaul the thing the stupid cambers keep popping off of the mast. what is the correct rigging procedure? also another question, the 7.0 sail looks really big, is this too much sail for a beginner? ive been a sailor all my life and know how to tack and jybe on big boards. i am 6 4 190 lbs athletic 30 year old with high motivation level.
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 4:45 pm    Post subject: RE: how to rig sail Reply with quote

Firstly, you have some good stuff, but yes it is advanced for your level. My biggest caution, dont ignore learning the fundamentals to get on this stuff fast. Learning control of the board and sail, without fighting it. Meaning sailing, tacking, jibing and uphauling a smaller sail with a larger board.

That 7.0 race sail is heavy and hard to manage for a beginner. The Xantos 295 is a great board, but a bit on the small side for a beginner.

This rig will be great once you can hook-in, and get in the footstraps, and waterstart. But right now I would get a smaller sail to learn. Something used and inexpensive. The board is a bit small too, but it will do.

Where do you sail? 7.0 for your size is for pretty mild winds.

As for the rigging problem, this is due to a few things. Are you using the correct mast? for example, if its Neil Pryde sail, you need a compatible mast (Fibrespar or NP), other masts work, but those sails are made for a specific mast.

The main way to keep the cams on the mast when rigging, is to first thread the luff onto the mast, getting all the cams on. Then bring the luff sleeve all the way down the mast, to where you can attach the downhaul (if you cant, then go as far as you can). Now put on the boom and adjust it according to the sail markings. Put some outhaul tension on the sail. This will help keep the cams from popping off when you downhaul.

Now, start downhauling. If you need to add more outhaul tension, do so after locking the downhaul. You may need a downhaul tool to get enough tension on it. Race sails require a lot of downhaul!

Really important for this sail, to have it downhauled enough. Look at the sail markings, and if you have instructions read that too. There needs to be enough leech flop to make the sail twist off.

Anyway, my suggestion, is to get a smaller sail, like a 5.0 RAF.
Assuming this is underpowered for your conditions.

And learn the following:

a). beach start
b). uphaul
c). tack
d). jibe (non-planing)
e). harness & footstrap
f). clearing the sail for waterstarting
g). getting in waterstart position

After this stuff, then go for a bigger sail.
Get some good videos.
prev1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2000 11:06 am    Post subject: RE: how to rig sail Reply with quote

The sail size needed depends entirely on the wind and the chop. If you sail in 12-15 mph, that sail is fine for learning. I would prefer to have enough power in the sail so that you can pull on it for balance, too little wind, nothing to hold you up. Unless you find yourself unable to spill the wind, your probably fine with that sail (especially since its already paid for).
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 2:11 am    Post subject: RE: how to rig sail Reply with quote

I would agree with you if he was a intermediate learning to get in the harness and footstraps...
but I think he is a beginner that should concentrate on basic skills. For that, he doesnt need a big sail for light wind, he just wont plane. After the basic skills, then go for the bigger sail to work on planing and more..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: