myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmchugh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:50 am    Post subject: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

I had my first taste of high wind over the weekend, it was a blast, but my rig continually got ripped out of my hands when I was about 1/2 way up. Does anyone have any tips?
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:47 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

Were you in that SF blast that happened recently? what size sail/board? Make sure your not way overpowered.
Even if you are, you can learn to waterstart in most cases.

High wind waterstarting is a bit tricky. You just have to realize what forces you are dealing with, and prepare. Be careful, cuz with really high wind the mast may slam downward on your head (helmet!) Here are a few tips:

1). fly the sail and hold onto the mast with one hand, and with the other hand position the board with the back footstrap. Keep the sail low.

2). If you have trouble flying the sail, grip the mast higher up on the top half, that way you get more leverage.
Then work your way down the mast to the boom.

3). Point the rig/board upwind, and get ready to waterstart. Keep everything low to the water.

4). one hand on the mast, the other far back on the boom, raise the sail just a enough to get enough leverage to get up.

5). As you get up bend your knees, and crouch low, as you get on the board. Anticipate the pull.

6). very carefully sheet in. Point upwind. Keep your knees bent, since its going to be super choppy and hard to manage when not planing.

hope this helps.
there is a good video on this, I think its called short board sailing II.
jimmchugh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 4:21 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

Yeah, Sherman Island.I havent had trouble waterstarting since I learned a few years ago, but Sunday I just couldnt hold on to the rig on my way up.
I was on a 3.5 wave sail, my board is big 96, but currently my only one, I am going to get a smaller one before trying that much wind again. I appreciate the tips, I will try to head upwind as I waterstart.
Thanks
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 9:50 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

I know that scene! The Bay and Rio will KYA on those days. Youll get it, just stay low and bend the knees, thats basically the ticket.

Starting by p0ointing a bit more upwind bleeds off some of the power (that you dont need)

of course now its back to the usual wind, so until next time...
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 3:53 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

I dont understand the point upwind business, nor the sheet in business.

When I waterstart in huge winds (I live in the Gorge, and sailed for years in a place that gets stronger wind than Ive ever seen in the Gorge), I:
1. Point the board way downwind.
2. Raise the sail off the water or board tail by grasping the boom with my front hand near the mast.
3. Put the back hand on the boom, being careful not to sheet in yet.
4. Put my back foot in its strap (I do this in ANY waterstart), using that to control board position (point of sail and leeward rail raisd just a bit so that rail cant trip and submerge). If overpowerd, Ill often also put the front foot in before watestarting. 5. When everythings ready (board pointed in a broad to very broad reach, leeward rail slightly high, both hands on the boom in sailing position, sail flying but not sheeted in), I pump the sail lightly (i.e., raise it a bit then sheet in a bit) to put some power into the sail, and exit the water planing. If REALLY overpowered, I may hook in before waterstarting so it CANT get yanked out of my hand.
6. As I rise to my feet, I maintain sheeting to maintain power until planing, or sheet out a bit if I get way too much power before achieving a plane.
7. The instant the board pops onto a plane, its sheet in and take off.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:31 am    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

mike --

I respect your opinion, but,
going downwind didnt sound intuitive to me in those conditions. Yet, I guess I do what you said without even thinking. I do both, depending on conditions. Actually, now that I think more about it, your method is probably best, but is much more aggro.

Yours, you come out on a fast plane; mine, its a gradual acceleration.

in my method, helps to keep things under control when overpowered. once you are up, then the board is adjusted to the reach that is comfortable, as you sheet in. Im not saying pointing really high, just enough to bleed off some power.

Im coming from what I learned from my experiences over the years, and originally from videos (shortboard sailing tech II is one).

I think your advice is great, but I know how I sail, thats what I share. And hey, I learn stuff from these posts too!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 2:58 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

I agree we need to waterstart under control, especially in the learning stage. But doesnt waterstarting while pinching just result in rounding up as the rider, rig, and tail of the board get blown downwind? After all, weve always been taught to point off the wind when waterstarting, and it seems to me this need is even more important with smaller boards and their sinkier tails.

I come up planing when really powered up, but its still under control because my back hand is on the throttle. Too much power? Sheet out a bit. Need, or at least ready for, more lift or power? Sheet in as desired. This way I, not the wind, control my acceleration. We can blast out of the water if everything goes well, or gently rise from neck deep to standing as we accelerate from a standstill to a plane, all in a broad reach to avoid rounding up. Balance and speed are very easiy controlled by slight bending or straightening of the back elbow, so the process is a smooth progression from swimming to shredding, rather than up to four separate functions of a) standing up, b) balancing, c) getting under way, and d) planing. Its very smooth and controlled, with no risk of rounding up. And since were planing and have the back foot in its strap before we fully stand up, theres no WAY were gonna get launched.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 9:07 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

Your post is nicely detailed, I definitely think your way works fine. I know why there is a difference. Since you start with the back foot in the strap (I dont), then sure, pinching would result in rounding up, if you tried to combine the back foot idea. But I dont start in the straps.

My board is set on a reach or slightly beam, depending on conditions.
(downwind more if its light).

sometimes I do get in the both straps if its really windy, then waterstart, but usually I do the old back foot on deck approach. Initially, I am not in the straps, and I hook in before footstraps (I know you avocate it differently).

Call me weird, but, I dont get launched, even in the roughest chop, and highest wind. I am just careful how I point, and how I sheet in (as you explained).

So, I have never really tried your style, but I think it is good way. But I know my way works too.

I encourage those who read this to try both ways, and find what works best for you.

Ill poll my buddies and find out what they do.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 10:16 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

I gather Im not communicating something well here, because what Im trying to describe is a controlled, smooth, gradual morph from bobbing to planing, with a simple escape path: sheeting out partially or completely. Done right, it seems much less accident-prone to me than getting to my feet pointing the wrong way at zero speed in full wind, THEN trying to maintain my balance while trying to swing the board downwind to a broads breach, THEN trying to apply power while standing still to accelerate to a plane. I can thing of very few, if any, instances when the wind is more likely to rip the sail out of my hands than when Im going nowhere and the wind is blasting full tilt. 35 mph - 0 mph = 35 mph of apparent wind I must control.

OTOH, by starting my broad reach before I even get my chest clear of the water, transitioning from slog to plane about the time my butt clears the water, and skipping like a stone well before standing tall, I feel very little apparent wind and always have a sail full of controlled power to lean against for solid balance. Its virtually effortless (the winds doing all the work, including lifting me and holding me up), and my speed increases as I apply power, so I feel minimal apparent wind.

I thought for a minute I may have just forgotten a part of my learning curve because I began doing it my way >15 years ago. But, no, I distinctly recall doing it my way in my first season of waterstarting, for three reasons: 1) Ive never heard of waterstarting pointing above a beam reach, and 2) the way I described is just so much easier than a long, drawn-out three-step process, and 3) Im never exposed to 35-0 mph apparent wind while standing up and trying to balance everything.

Mike \m/
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 10:37 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

Hey Mike,
I know this isnt my debate, but I just wanted to ask you;

When You say apparent Wind:
What are you refering to??
I am apparently confused as to the way you use the the term apparent wind. thanks joeyyyy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: