myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cell phone pager?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2000 10:47 am    Post subject: Cell phone pager? Reply with quote

Does IW offer their wind reports through cell phones like they do pagers? If not, why not? Suggestion: Id definitely pay for a cell phone report service. As it is, I cant justify carrying around a pager and cell phone all the time and paying two seperate bills.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2000 12:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Cell phone pager? Reply with quote

Zara,
One of the many projects our small team is working on is making our data accessible via Wireless Web-enabled devices such as WAP-enabled cell phones. We hope to have this up and running in 2001. The pager will continue to be an awesome way to get the wind info - it is definitely the ultimate way to go right now. And, the iWindsurf pager is quite inexpensive - less than a tank of gas per month, and customers tell us it saves them many tanks of gas.

Regards,
George Haye
iWindsurf.com
george@iwindsurf.com
thoffman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2000 10:20 am    Post subject: RE: Cell phone pager? Reply with quote

I have tried accessing the site on my Motorola StarTac and it doesnt work well as the site is not WAP optimized. Looks like they are working on it. I do have a friend who uses his PALM V with a modem to access the site as he does not have the pager so that seems to work well.

I think the pagers are small enough that I dont bother carrying it. And due to the fact that I have relegated myself to weekend warrier status, it sits on my kitchen counter mond thru fri.
ad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2000 11:25 am    Post subject: RE: Cell phone pager? Reply with quote

Youre right the pager is great, and definitely cheaper than gas. Nonetheless I look forward to 2001.
Thanks for the info.
jwajack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2000 2:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Cell phone pager? Reply with quote

In the interim, as an incomplete substitute, you might program the iWindsurf alert service to page your cell phone with a text message when the wind reaches a certain level at whatever sites you select. That way you could get whatever information you deem most important without having to carry around both a pager and phone. You wont get all the background information or the web graphs, but it might be a solution for you in the interim.

JWAjack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: