myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fall Sailing Cape Cod to RI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 8:51 pm    Post subject: Fall Sailing Cape Cod to RI Reply with quote

Interested coastal sailing locations between Cape Cod, MA and Rhoade Island including locations, water temp. and sailing conditions. How late does the fall sailing season go? Thanks
JP
EvelynByrne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 6:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Fall Sailing Cape Cod to RI Reply with quote

It depends on how warm your suit is; also you need to do what you can to keep your fingers from freezing. Last winter at Ninigret and Pt. Judith I sailed in Dec. and Jan. Just got a new drysuit (BARE Polar Heat) - its kept me toasty in the low 40s so far and I even stay warm when I stop to visit with people. Only problem is having to sail alone.
camdauler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 7:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Fall Sailing Cape Cod to RI Reply with quote

Hey Burner,

The fall is by far the best time to sail as fronts continually bring strong winds and the temps are still warm. Partial to wavesailing Ill give you my favorite spots. RI offers first and second beach in Newport with Second being good on only a strong SW, big waves and very few sailors. First Beach is awesome on a strong SE(rare) but offers big dsiorganized waves and again very few sailors. Also in RI is Horseneck Beach which is good on SW and NW but better in SW. Good jumping waves. In a NW wind, which this year was very consotent Coprporation Beach on the Cape is THE wavesailing spot in NE. Giant waves during 4.0 winds otherwise pretty small. Further north is a little known spot called Wingaursheek beach in Gloucester, only 40 minutes north of Boston, very good wavesailing on a strong NW, albeit a bit fickle. One hint about NW winds, catch them early they have a real tendancy to shut off by noon; ignore the marine forecast for building NW, its always a morning thing. SW winds are our prevailing winds and the best spot is Chappaquoit in West Falmouth on the Cape. Can get very big but not big in the sense that there is down the line sailing, were not talking ground swell here. Ive seen the buoys, however, register 14 feet on 3.0 days! Terrible shore break at high tide. Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: