myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Reparing Dings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spyder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2001 11:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Reparing Dings Reply with quote

I dont know about dingstick. I was going to recommend the ding repair kits. But seems as if you have already tried them.

Basically, you need to sand the area and put fiberglass cloth and resin on the hole. Then let it cure, and sand it smooth.
prev1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 9:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Reparing Dings Reply with quote

One thing that worked well for me was to use a syringe of mixed epoxy with some micro bubbles to insert through a small hole in the ding. This lifted the shell by filling behind it. When it was cured, the repair was still visable but I didnt have to try to match the color of the repair or paint the area. I thought that this looked better on my board since the ding went through the graphics on the board. All these materials are standard from Boat US or E&B Marine. Unfortunately, you do need to buy larger quantities than you might want. I dont think that you need to try to work with fiberglass cloth for a small ding. The microbubles and epoxy work better than fiberglass and resign (my opinion of course). Good luck.
markhl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 2:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Reparing Dings Reply with quote

Ive found the fore-mentioned syringe repair to be good for delamination repairs...
There is a product called Solarize that is pre-mixed costing about $15 a tube that is re-usable and does a good job at repairing small dings (without the mess)
It will dry in the sunlight in about 5 minutes.

For expoxy repairs, use marine-tex (available at most hardware stores.)

ML

Windance.com is a source for this product and will mail out shipments.
prev1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Reparing Dings Reply with quote

Regarding the comment to use marine-tex, Ive used it extensively to repair boats made of fiberglass where it worked well but found it to be too brittle (compared to other epoxy filled with micro-bubbles) and also found that it did not adhere as well to my F2 Ride. I would use another marine epoxy with microbubbles if possible. Good luck
Eron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 2:20 am    Post subject: RE: Reparing Dings Reply with quote

Marine-Tex worked pretty good on some dings in the nose of my Fanatic Skate. The trick is in applying the epoxy to the board: I put a generous amount on and then cover it tightly with saran wrap, starting by taping one end down and working my way around the ding, stretching the saran wrap as I go. Try to work all the wrinkles out of the saran wrap. When it dries, the repair will be smooth and if applied correctly, requires very little sanding.

Marine-Tex is essentially the gel-coat, the hard shell found on fiberglass boats. I think it is similar to the covering on most carbon fiber windsurfing boards, but I could be wrong. The dings Ive repaired this way never went through the board past the carbon fiber layer, they were usually chips in the coating and this technique worked well. West Marine sells marine-tex

Eron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: