myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vacation in Central America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmoore67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2001 12:18 pm    Post subject: Vacation in Central America Reply with quote

I am trying to find a good place to sail in Central America, e.g. Belize, Costa Rica, Mexico. Does anyone have suggestions? Please note city and beaches if possible.
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2001 2:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Vacation in Central America Reply with quote

lake arenal is great in Costa Rica. Also the NW coast of costa rica is supposed to be good too, but I think its advanced-intermediate sailing. check into it. Lake arenal is pretty wild too, in the spring (like now).

as for the rest of C.A., Mexico has quite a few places, Baja for one. Cancun has some windsurfing, but the gear rentals are bad.

great diving in belize/honduras, but not sure of the windsurfing.
cmoore67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2001 6:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Vacation in Central America Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I have read about baja (is La Paz the best place to homebase?) and have heard about Lake Arnenal. Are there good rentals there and on the coast? I have sailed mostly in the gorge, SF and Maui. Is the sailing more difficult than those places? How about S. Padre Island and southern Texas?
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Vacation in Central America Reply with quote

look at the posts in travel, there are quite a few knowledgable posts about Baja.

Lake Arenal has some great rental places, in windsurfing there are ads for Lake Arenal and the coast. I have heard good things about Tilawa.
http://www.hotel-tilawa.com/

when arenal goes off in the spring, its rock n roll sailing. 3.0-4.5.

But you have done Gorge/Maui, I am sure you can deal with it.

Corpus/SoPadre is also a great location. check out:
http://www.windsurfinc.com/

It certainly depends WHEN you want to go. Arenal is good in the spring. Texas is good in the summer months (as most places are).
AlexCusi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 12:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Vacation in Central America Reply with quote

I live and sail in Mexico.
Great places include:
Veracruz (Southern Gulf of Mexico). Bump and Jump as well as small wave sailing. Best Nov-March. Shortie needed.
4.0-5.5 conditions.
Beautiful City, great food, night life, its got all.
Salina Cruz. Pacific coast in the state of oaxaca. Best Oct.-April.
Undeveloped, more of an adventure trip. Great food and Cheap!. No equipment rentals.
All type of sailing. Flat watter (big lagoons), bump and jump and wave sailing.
3.0-5.5 conditions. Great scinery, should go with guide.
Progreso, Yucatan (20 miles from Merida). Best in the spring and summer. 5.0 - 6.5 Conditions. Gear rental available, decent but not the latest stuff.

I organize trips to all these locations. Contact me at bonnito@prodigy.net.mx if you want more info.
Buen Viento.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: