myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
beachstart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schakleton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 9:49 pm    Post subject: beachstart Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive cheking out the forum and noticed that beginners doesnt show up a lot anyway, ill take my chances: ive started in windsurfing about two months ago and got comfortable with beach starts on those beginners boards ( once the daggerboard was retracted)...now, i just got a techno 283 (last weekend was my first experience with it and I COULDNT do any beachstart at all...well, only the fin seems to have around 50 cm! ok, maybe theres some flexibility missing here but can you give me any tips to climb this thing?

Tks
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 11:12 pm    Post subject: RE: beachstart Reply with quote

dont be shy, you are doing the right thing...post away!

check out some previous posts on waterstarting techniques. I view this as a deep water beachstart. Since you are getting into a higher performance board now, with that big fin, you will have to go out in deeper water so the fin doesnt hit.

your basic moves are still the same, but now somewhat more awkward.

1) practice keeping the sail balanced into the wind enough so the rig is in control with both hands on the boom (about the center of effort of the sail). Rotate the rig fore and aft, using the boom, to feel where the wind is balanced with the rig. Dont let the rig get to much into the wind (keep the rig low until you are ready to raise for mounting the board)

2). Now, put your back foot on the board. Near the centerline, but on the windward side, and approximately 1/2 way from the mast base to the back of the board.

Try to keep the board pointed onto a reach while doing this, with the rig balanced into the wind.

3). when you have mastered this skill, try raising the sail enough to mount the board. Bringing your front foot on deck close to the mast base. Keep your knees bent and maintain a warrior stance to prevent the rig from overpowering you off the board.

Sheet in and go!

if you have more questions, post away.
schakleton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:47 pm    Post subject: RE: beachstart Reply with quote

I didnt expect such an extensive ( and quick) response...thanks!
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 9:11 pm    Post subject: RE: beachstart Reply with quote

you may need more wind or a bigger sail. The deeper the water, the more wind it will take to get you up on the board, until youre chest deep and then youre essentially doing a waterstart. Of course light wind technique helps, but only to a point, and you do need more flexibility to do a deep beach start in marginal wind.

BTW, I have scraped my 46cm G10 across sand, reef, rocks, you name it, and it doesnt look pretty, but still works AOK. It can be replaced, but my knees cant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: