myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
To Go with GO or Not to Go with GO: what board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfodor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 4:34 pm    Post subject: To Go with GO or Not to Go with GO: what board? Reply with quote

Dear All,

Could I ask for have your help with selecting gear?

I am a beginner—use harness but never tried foot straps, planing jibe or water start—weigh a little less than 150 pounds and sail on tidal Potomac and Chesapeake Bay (Dewey Beach) in the Washington DC area where we mostly have light to moderate winds (5 – 15 mph), except early and late season, when the winds can stronger (15 – 25 mph). I have a HiFly Magnum, a sturdy 180 liter, 323 cm longboard with 6.5 m2 North Ultra sail, epoxy mast and aluminum boom that came with the package.

I am trying to buy a board that would (i) be a step toward the shortboard arena and encourage me to learn plane jibes, water start and other shortboarding skills, (ii) be better suited for the few days of higher winds than my Magnum, but (iii) still plane early in light to moderate winds that prevail here. I would also like to be able to go sailing in lighter winds together with my wife (110 pounds, complete beginner); In this case both boards would be on the water at the same time and she would use whatever set up would be easier to sail. And, of course, we would like to avoid spending our downpayment savings on windsurfing gear…

Having insufficient experience to try to buy used equipment, I considered Starboard Go, Pacific 280 and HiFly Mad. For sails, I thought of getting a sail larger than my 6.5 for the Go for light wind (maybe 8.5) and perhaps also a smaller sail for stronger winds (5.0) Online retailers suggested Windwing sails for Go and Pacific sails for Pacific. Are there sails that have a greater range than others?

Could you please recommend what we should get both on the board and the rig side and why?

Thank you very much,

Martin

PS. Below are some offers from retailers.

Hi Martin,
> >
> >The GO is a great next step from the Magnum, as it is a much higher
> >performance board. It planes incredibly early, points high upwind, sails
> >downwind easily, but above all it is a very comfortable board to sail
> with
> >great stability. For both you (150 lbs) and your wife (100 lbs), the GO
> >with an 8.0 - 8.5 would be an incredible package to really maximize your
> >time and performance on the water in light winds to moderate winds.
> >
> >The GO is available with several rig choices, the first one the will I
> >mention is the Windwing Quantum 8.5. Windsurfing Magazine praised the
> >Quantum for not only its light weight and easy handling, but also its
> great
> >low end power and acceleration. The 8.5 is designed with light weight
> and
> >easy handling in mind, but does not compromise any power, top end speed,
> or
> >stability. The Quantum can be paired with a Powerex NRZ 490 30% carbon
> >mast, and Chinook Aluminum Course Boom for $1999 or complete with Chinook
> >Tall Power Base and 1-bolt rubber mast base for $2079, which includes
> free
> >shipping! The Go is ideally suited for a sail range of 7.0 - 8.5, which
> >makes the 8.5 Quantum an ideal sail for the GO.
> >
> >Bic has a variety of rigs available, ranging in price and component
> >content. The Technologic is the most performance oriented rig, as it is
> a
> >7 batten non-cambered free-race sail. In the size range you are
> >considering, your best options are either the 7.8 or 8.8 Technologic,
> which
> >come complete with 50% Carbon mast, Freeride Evo Boom, and 40cm
> extension.
> >The GO with 7.8 is $1919 and $1939 with 8.8, both prices include free
> >shipping!
> >
> >We offer great rig discounts, on any regularly priced mast, sail, and
> boom
> >combination. For example, if you purchase one complete rig, we offer a
> 5%
> >discount off suggested retail on each component. This is how the Quantum
> >rig was calculated, with the 25% accessory discount from the purchase of
> >the GO applied to the mast foot.
> >
> >I encourage you phone me so that we can not only discuss the details of
> the
> >rig options, but also so we can ensure that the rig you select will be
> best
> >suited to the needs of you and your wife.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------
After I asked about North Ultra (I assumed it would be cheaper):

> The North Ultra rig is a great option, and is a little nicer on the
> budget!
> It comes complete with a North Ultra (4.7, 5.5 or 6.5), 2- piece epoxy
> masts, adjustable boom, mast base, and mast foot. The Ultra is a 5 batten
> freeride sail that many of our customers (and myself) have had great
> success
> with the Ultras.
> Compared to a more expensive rig with higher carbon content masts, stiffer
> boom, and more high performance sails, there will be performance
> sacrifices.
> A rig such as the Quantum offers not only superior stability, speed, and
> power, but also increased wind range due to the responsive nature of a
> carbon mast. Just like in cars, the more high performance items cost
> more,
> but that doesnt mean you cant have as much fun driving a Honda as you
> can
> driving a Jag.The North Ultra rig is a more affordable route, and offers
> great
> performance. It rigs easily, has nice consistent power, and has a very
> soft
> and forgiving feel. I have had great days on the water with a Ultra on a
> Hifly Magnum, so there is no reason you cant have great days on the go.
> The Ultra complete 6.5 Ultra rig is $439, which as I mentioned above comes
> completely ready to sail. The 5.5 is approximately $30 less, while the
> 4.7
> is approximately $75 less. There is a $7.2 available, with the 7.2
> being$539.
>
>
zephyr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 9:37 pm    Post subject: RE: To Go with GO or Not to Go with GO: what board? Reply with quote

You are confusing me a little: It sounds like you want a board for more advanced windsurfing than the 180L HiFly Magnum.
In considering buying the Go you seem to be looking in the wrong direction -towards the beginner side of the spectrum!

With your body weight I wouldnt get a board over 130Liter (5.5m to 8.0m range).
You already have a big board (180L)... do you need a bigger one? Beleive me the GO may be considered a short board but it is HUGE!

Also about your next larger sail, to go from a 6.5m you should get a 7.5m (no more than 8.0m). To go to a 8.5m is too much of a gap!
For your next smaller sail I wouldnt jump down more than to a 5.5m.

About buying used boards: the trick is to find a honest seller (most windsurfers are), and ask the right questions (like for exemple: has this board ever taken any water? ...) If you know what board(s) you want than look on the used market like swaps. If buying from a distance I recommand buying from a store because of the shipping issue.

Last year I bought a used 1998 F2 Xantos II with two fins in perfect shape for $375 + shipping. It is 133Litres, I weight 180lbs and plane in 12mph winds with a 8.0...

I dont know if this helps?
gimenezj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 1:55 pm    Post subject: RE: To Go with GO or Not to Go with GO: what board? Reply with quote

Gee Martin....were we twins on a previous life??? I sail at about the same level youre at (although I beat you on the footstraps Wink, I also have a Magnum with the Ultra 6.5, I sail at Dewey Beach, and Ive just bought a GO/FS last week!!!

In summary, like the other sailor told you, this is a big short board and might look redundant with your Magnum. However, I am planning to use this myself, while my wife and two kids bang the Magnum, and eventually the GO/FS goes for them and I get the Formula 155. (In the meantime, I should add, I do have a 120 L Bic Vivace I bought used for when the wind picks up.)

The light-wind ability, low weight, and high performance, and great fin the GO has doesnt compare to what the Magnum offers (aside of handling 22 vs. 37 pounds around...).

Check at the Starboard website Forum for great additional information, but I think that the GO is just a terrific board for all level and for the familiy (not to mention, most of our sailing is with low wind...).

Finally, although I dont have any affiliation whatsover, be aware that my local dealer here in Pennsylvannia close to Philly, Brad Miley, has by far the best prices of Starboards in the country. Call him at (215) 368-9095 and youll believe me...!

Best luck,

Juan Gimenez
picard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 8:08 pm    Post subject: RE: To Go with GO or Not to Go with GO: what board? Reply with quote

Hello,

I also live near D.C. and I bring my GO to Dewey beach often. I am beginning to use the straps and harness semi consistently. Ive actually used a 4.7 sail in 27mph winds and I got a Stealth 9.0 for light winds. I really like the Go, but I dont have much experience to compare it to anything else. I can plane in very little winds, and its nice to know that you have the safety of a dock in case of the winds dying down or equipment failure.

Given that D.C. is not the windsurfing capital, Im pleased with a board that I can use in a wide range of conditions.

Your wife may find the board too big.. Also, in low winds you really want a big sail (9.0)or youll have a tough time going upwind. Could she handle a 8.0 sail? Consider this before buying.

At least she is willing to try Windsurfing, my wife cant resist those damn outlet malls!
mfodor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 2:11 pm    Post subject: RE: To Go with GO or Not to Go with GO: what board? Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your advice. I opted for the Go and am enjoying it very much. Happy sailing,

Martin
SurfTheWind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 5:14 pm    Post subject: RE: To Go with GO or Not to Go with GO: what board? Reply with quote

The DC area huh? I just moved down to College park for an internship. I am looking tinto buying a board and getting out. Where do you suggest? The 2 hours drive to Solomons is kinda a drag.

Jeff...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: