myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is a "deviator" a good or bad thing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaulterca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 11:55 am    Post subject: Is a "deviator" a good or bad thing? Reply with quote

What is the general concensus on the benefits of a deviator?

Ive heard they can protect the nose from being broken off your board

Ive also heard they can rip out your mast-track & leave a very expensive repair job.

Any thoughts?
jcharde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2001 6:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Is a Reply with quote

A friend f mine ripped the mast track out of a new F2 Ride with a deviatore, and I destroyed a carbo mast extension using one. Recommendation is to use a two-bolt base if you are using the deviator. They vertainly keep the nose from getting whacked, but can be a pain otherwise. But if you saw the noses on my boards, you would realize that cosmetics are relatively unimportant to me.
mariusz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2001 2:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Is a Reply with quote

DEVIATOR...
IT IS GOOD IDEA(?)-NOT TO USE THE MAST PAD- WHILE USING THE DEVIATOR.
MAST PAD CAN SLOW DOWN OR PREVENT THE WHEEL OF DEVIATOR FROM ROLLING - AND DIRECT THE FORCE DOWN TO THE MAST TRACK
INSTED ROLL IT TO THE SIDE
(ON OTHER HAND: destroyed a carbo mast extension using one
-THERE IS NO SAFE/CHEEP WAYS TO CRASH)
jeffewalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2001 2:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Deviator Reply with quote

What is a two bolt base? Please describe.
prev1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Is a Reply with quote

I purchased a new F2 ride last year and used it without a deviator all last year. I wish now that I had used a deviator since the last ride last year nearly broke off the first 9 inchs of board. The front was wide upon like a crocs month after I high sided onto the front in my harness. I was using a 4.5 in rather windy conditions. I had hit the front before or the front edge and caused relateively minor damage until this time. I was concerned about your points as well but am getting tired of fixing the board. I went out to buy one last week.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2001 11:15 am    Post subject: RE: Deviator Reply with quote

Chinook makes a base that bolts to your mast track with 2 bolts. This spreads the load on the mast track and is recommended by the maker of the Deviator. This base has a quick-disconnect universal, so it is usually left on the board.
Homer55

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 10:03 pm    Post subject: RE:deviator Reply with quote

I had a devitor on a demo techno 273 out in 4.0 conditions(while I was still finishing off learning footstraps) and got slammed down hard from a huge gust...the deviator worked fine...I went over in the harness except..when I went down the back side of the booms swung around and nicked the front the the board...it craked a 2inch peice outa the nose...

From what I have seem around my area...carbon extensions dont fare well with deviators....mast tracks get ripped out if the thing isnt placed farth enough forward on the track....but lots of noses have been saved.
keel

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2001 3:36 pm    Post subject: RE:deviator Reply with quote

I just bought one few weeks ago. The reason was because I am into SPEED and learning to jump. There is a trade-off on speed and control. The closer you get to that edge the faster you go. The deviator allows me to not worry about my board and let loose on the downwind runs. The real downside is that it is harder to get the mast over the board when water starting. Also, figured Id get a helemt for my board before my head!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: