myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
when to flip the sail on a jibe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitenucks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2001 11:10 pm    Post subject: when to flip the sail on a jibe Reply with quote

In trying to learn how to jibe, Im usually waiting until Im through the eye of the wind before I flip the sail,but often end up stalled out. It seems that perhaps more experienced sailors are flipping the sail sooner and come out powered up as a result. When I tried this the sail was ripped from my hands.Whats the deal ??
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 3:01 pm    Post subject: RE: when to flip the sail on a jibe Reply with quote

there are basically 2 jibes that people do, a step first-then flip, and a flip-then step jibe.

the best one to learn is the step jibe (if you learn the flip first jibe, its harder to learn to step first). the sail will flip sooner on a flip first jibe.

in the flip first jibe, as soon as the sail feels free, then the sail can easily be flipped, followed by a step forward.

Generally, most problems with the jibe are not enough speed going into the turn, and either the setup or setting the rail doesnt go well, and the board falls off a plane, and stops turning.

as with any planing jibe, you need to come into the jibe with good speed, on a reach or slightly broad. your setup must be clean, so when you start the carve, it sets the rail solidly in the water.

as you go through the turn, you need to rotate your back foot out of the strap in preparation for the step.

once the board is about 3/4 of the way through the turn, the sail will
be more in the clew first position. then you step, and then when ready, flip the sail. being more on a broad reach is best, to maintain board speed and have an easier time flipping the sail clew first.

this isnt really a full explaination on jibing, just an attempt to answer your question. I recommend Alan Cadizs
Jibing video, or similar.

hope this helps
whitenucks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 6:18 am    Post subject: RE: when to flip the sail on a jibe Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.I have gone back and forth on the question of whether to step or flip first, and I think I was holding back on the step just because I could concentrate on the carve better that way, but I can see that stepping first, getting my weight forward on the board earlier in the jibe, should help to drive it through the turn so I dont stall out.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:41 pm    Post subject: RE: when to flip the sail on a jibe Reply with quote

Glad to hear my tips helped so much, Mike. Im about to update them, will try to advise you when I do so you can update your site.

BTW, Spyder -- jibing the sail when 3/4 of the way through the turn is far too late, IMO. We should be fully powered, still planing, and hooked in on the new tack by then. A jibe is a 90-degree maneuver (from 1/4 to 3/4 of the turn) until we get good enough to plane through the whole 180 degrees.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 6:50 pm    Post subject: RE: when to flip the sail on a jibe Reply with quote

Yep, I agree, it was confusing the way I said it. a common problem is to flip too late in sail first jibes.

But would you agree that it kinda depends on sail first or step first. as in step first, you can flip nearer to the end.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2001 2:33 pm    Post subject: RE: when to flip the sail on a jibe Reply with quote

Ive always read (in WSMags endless-but-still-appreciated jibe tutorials) that we should step forward with the back foot (from its carving position on the inside rail) at the same time we shove the back of the sail forward to initiate its rotation, as though our back hand were linked to the back knee by a line. That timing seems to work well for me.

We should be planing at something near the wind speed (greater on big sails and flat water), so as soon as we bear way off the wind, we should lose sail power. With the sail providing little or no power, may as well jibe it NOW so we can reapply power again ASAP.

But, as you say, a lot depends on how any given jibe is proceeding. Jibes would all be alike only if conditions, equipment, preferences and skills were all alike. And wouldnt THAT get boring!

Mike \m/
harris52

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2001 1:31 pm    Post subject: RE: when to flip the sail on a jibe Reply with quote

The funny thing is you actually answered your own question. You can really flip the sail anytime you damn well please as long as you keep everything in control. But back to my point which is purely based on your experience since: you have a problem stalling out... and when you flip sooner youre finding the sail is ripped from your hands. The sail being ripped from your hands is a sign of power. I bet if you bend your knees, dig down and hold on to that sail, you wont have a problem stalling... Thats the exact power that people use to plane through the jibe. Wherever it is in your jibe that your flipping and feeling that power... thats a good thing. Now hold on, keep carving and smile.

gh
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2001 5:44 pm    Post subject: RE: when to flip the sail on a jibe Reply with quote

Ah, but when done right, we should feel no power ... just one effortless plane from one beam reach to the powered-up-and-locked-in new broad reach. If I feel sail power before coming up to the new beam reach, it means Ive slowed down more than necessary during the jibe.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: