myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducati

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 11:29 pm    Post subject: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

Im considering a move from Boise, Idaho to San Francisco, but Ive heard its infested with rich yuppies with saturated egos. Are the windsurfing conditions really worth the move? Please advise.
slidersf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 1:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

Dont worry about it. I moved out here 3 years ago and am totally stoked on windsurfing. Long season, consistent winds, and a variety of conditions. There are a ton of sites besides Crissy if you want to avoid crowds and yuppies, but its really not that bad there. Where else can you cut off of work in the city at 4:00 and still get an hour or two of sailing in?

Cheers!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 5:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

Their income and egos are their problem, not yours. Its also full of gays, straights, tall people, short people, white people, people of various other colors, and even ... gasp ... people who dont windsurf. You get to pick your own friends either place.

The REAL issue, in this forum, is whether you get to the Gorge often enough to even BEGIN to compare living in Boise to living in The Bay. In a good summer at either spot, one can sail a few days a week. But living in Boise, betcha dont get many after-work sessions on a 5.5 like you often can on The Bay or nearby.

What about the other comparisons: megalopolis vs small town? Ready access to the Gorge vs much easier access to The Bay? $$ vs $$$$$ for a home?

Mike \m/
ducati

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 9:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

Right on Mike! Thanks for the info. The two buddies that I know that used to sail at Crissy got so fed up with the Yuppies and rude people they moved to the Gorge! Maybe Ill be seein ya.
goltz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

If you are so worried about who else is sailing and what there social and economic standing is, I offer you this advice: It is better where you are, stay there, we dont need anybody moving to SF to pass judgement on others.

If you want great sailing and can accept others who may differ from you: come on out!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

Anyone who LETS rude people, Yuppies, six-toed geeks, or any other group of people run their lives will be unhappy anywhere they go, including the Gorge. Jeez, I even saw a NEW YORKER there one summer, and it ruined the whole season for me.

NOT! But the guys behavior did make an impression Ill never forget.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

The Gorge is certainly one prospect. Many people sail a couple of hours before work, an hour at lunch, 5 hours after work ... or all three. Its just a matter of how important that leaky roof really is.

Mike \m/
chasewaves

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

hello
your biggest consener should be can you afford the move... everything is much more expensive, and very crowded. i think the gorge may have more ego out on the water, the bay is much bigger, spread out, nobody cares. like everywhere, the good sailors dont have egos. in the five years ive been living in california, i have sailed the bay about five times. i sail the coast. from sf you can also drive to the delta or the coast, depending on where is best. the weather is nicer year round in sf, and the people are great. i got an offer letter coming this week to transfer to the gorge, so im outa here. good luck
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

The Bay is bigger than the Gorge? The Gorge is ~250 miles long .... and you can drive that 250 miles in well under four hours if its windy .. about the time from Rio Vista to Waddell at rush hour?

Mike
valkgal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 12:47 am    Post subject: RE: Crissy Field: Too many Yuppies?? Reply with quote

Mike, May I remind you of your words 2 weeks ago about the zoo at Rosie? Remember they were carving up all the ramps?
In my Irish heart I am a more the merrier sort of person, but maybe we should be touting the virtues of egotistical yuppies rather than that of the gorge. Ok, I cant resist:
To my Boise friend, asside from culture, here are their virtues in terms of wind: In the gorge youll get ample chance to get on your 4.0, on occassion smaller. In the bay the wind is steady as a rock, about 5.2 and turns on regularly like a switch between 2 and 6:53 PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: