myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shear Tip Trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 1:43 pm    Post subject: Shear Tip Trouble Reply with quote

I bought a used 1999 Neil Pryde Supersonic 7.4. Its got the shear tip, which is the source of my trouble. I am using it on a 1997 Powerex 3300 460 mast, which is the recommended length and stiffness.

When I rig the sail according to the manual, the sheartip tips down towards the sail foot and creates a terrible bag above the top batten. It tips down about 6-8 inches creating just as much extra material bagging out. This is not a case of looseness in the head.

Adding or reducing downhaul or outhaul makes no difference. Fully powered or no wind make no difference in the bag in that top panel. I have seen a lot of these on the water and this is not right at all.

I inspected the shear tip and there doesnt seem to be a problem. The rod is not broken, no cracks or broken plastic in the mechanism.

However, there is a small nub on the bottom of the shear tip about one inch long that is supposed to sit into the mast caps hole. The nub on the sheartip is too wide to drop into the cup, though this is a very standard mast. Besides, the nub on the shear tip is pretty small, only about one inch tops, and very rounded, so it doesnt seem like its supposed to sit tight into the mast cap hole, but looks like its supposed to rotate on it.

Any thoughts from anybody? I want to like this sail.
usa04

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:46 am    Post subject: RE: Shear Tip Trouble Reply with quote

The problem is the mast. The standard mast plug in your powerex is not compatible with the Neilpryde sheartip (or other NP) sail head cap. Talk to your mast manufacturer or dealer to get a mast plug that is compatible with the sheartip. You will see that the sail rigs properly with the correct plug in use.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 10:23 am    Post subject: RE: Shear Tip Trouble Reply with quote

There should be a large hole mast tip plug in the sail bag. Install it in your mast tip in place of the origional. If the plug doesnt fit or is not there, you can get one from your N.P. shop. Also it will work fine without any mast tip plug. Just put a foam plug about 1 down from the tip to keep the water out. Either way, this should solve the problem. Just make sure the shear tip knob is inserted into the new larger mast tip hole when rigging.
THUKILL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 8:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Shear Tip Trouble Reply with quote

A guy I sail with had the same problem w/a 99 Supersonic. He didnt have the NP plug. I got a 99 V8 and there was no plug in the bag. I had the same problem. Saggy head. It could only be resolved by ordering the plug from NP. The shop I bought the sail from said they would send one and never did. Too busy for their customers, I guess. Good luck.
sloanish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: RE: Shear Tip Trouble Reply with quote

The end of your sail bag should hold a Neil Pryde tip insert. This will need to be modified slightly to fit into your mast as the powerex wall is thicker than the NP mast wall. If you dont have this part we stock them.

Also check your manual - it will mention this plug and the need to install it.

888-639-7529
www.islandsports.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: