myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone use goggles successfully?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorgewinds

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2001 9:19 am    Post subject: Anyone use goggles successfully? Reply with quote

Im thinking of using goggles. I wear contacts and they get loose when water gets in my eyes; then I find myself windsurfing blind, which is probably not the best thing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
gemoore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Anyone use goggles successfully? Reply with quote

Sail in salt water when possible.

I havent used goggles, but I have used Spex. They dont help the problem youre asking about. If goggles can work, they will have to seal your eyes from the water.

Salt water doesnt have the same effect, because its the osmolarity change from tear fluid to fresh water that alters the soft lens hydration and adherence to your eye. My experience (near sighted lenses) is that salt water doesnt cause this annoying problem...

Prescription glasses are an alternative solution...

GEM
toreylam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Anyone use goggles successfully? Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my contacts. My advise is to just get a pair of cheap sport sun glasses with string/strap that wrap around your eye as much as possible. It will help protect your lenses from pealing out. Besides, that style is in now and they look cool.

Ive tried swimming goggles and they fog up.

I bought a pair of those expensive Bart windsurfing goggles and found that they were no better than a plastic sport sunglasses. Then I lost them because I forgot to attach it to my wet suit. So now I out $100.

If you want clear, I bought a pair of plastic eye protection glasses from Ace Hardware and they too worked out fine. There are a large number to select from and most do not look too bad. They only cost me $9. Do not put Rain-X on plastic..it will crack the plastic! (Yes I tried that too)

Final recommendation: Get Laser eye surgery. Im still waiting for the docs to get more practice first though!

Good luck!

-Torey
ronw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Anyone use goggles successfully? Reply with quote

Ive heard reports of mountain climbers who have had Laser Corrective Surgery lose their vision for periods at altitude. Something about the lack of oxygen causing their eyes to fog over and everything getting blurry. I wear contacts and getting rid of that daily hassle sparks a definite interest, but as a diver and someone who is interested in sky diving and other pressure related hobbies the risks still seem to great.

Laser Eye Surgery still seems to be fairly new and I believe some of the long, long term side effects may not be apparent yet. I think Ill stick with the contacts for awhile longer.

Ron Waddell
iWindsurf.com
Windbomb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Anyone use goggles successfully? Reply with quote

I use sports-style wraparound prescription sunglasses with an elastic safety strap. They protect my eyes from salt water, wind and UV rays (and I can see!). The only downside is they occasionally fog up. Try it!

Lasix rocks! Used to have the same fresh water/contact problem - no longer. I dive, ski high altitude, even drive at night Wink - no issues at all. OK - had some long term insecurities myself - only got one eye done 8<) Eyes can adjust to something like 3.6 dioplers difference (which is massive). Anyway - my 2 cents.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: