myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ever Windsurf in Tarifa, Spain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwajack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:40 pm    Post subject: Ever Windsurf in Tarifa, Spain? Reply with quote

My fiance and I are trying to plan our honeymoon, and are thinking of including a week in Tarifa next July following some biking in Southern France. Im an advanced sailor (a little less so in the waves, but with some good time and great interest in the waves), while she probably will be a solid intermediate by then. Weve both sailed in La Ventana, BCS, and Cabrillo Beach, CA, and Ive had experience in the Gorge, Bay Area etc.

Any thoughts or anecdotes about sailing in Tarifa (or elsewhere close to Europe) in July would be much appreciated.

JWAJack
PBartolacci

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 8:38 am    Post subject: RE: Ever Windsurf in Tarifa, Spain? Reply with quote

Tarifa is GREAT, especially in July (much less crowded than August). The Levante (side off) blows consistently in the summer and can be nukin. Ive sailed there many times from 6.5 down to 3.5. No wind days are RARE. Water is flattish on the inside, but you get rolling swells outside. With the side off direction, theres not much wavesailing. Have to wait until fall when the Poniente (side on) kicks in). Best to reserve a board with Club Mistral or such, as they can run out of the good stuff (Naish boards), but there are several rental sites with very good equipment and Ive just shown up many times and been OK. Also, the water is colder than youd think, so bring a 3/2 or shortie (the rental sites have plenty of suits available, but I got a nasty rash once, so ...). Most people sail a fullsuit, but Ive gotten away with a shortie. Also, watch the currents. If you get into trouble outside and the rescue boats dont see you, youll be in the Canary Islands in a couple of days! If you like golf, there are great courses within an hour. The town of Tarifa is very mellow but steeped in history. Most people stay outside of town on the beaches where the sailing is (Hurrican Hotel is supposedly good). Best to have a rental car to get around, as things are somewhat spread out. ENJOY!!
cooljazz108

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:47 am    Post subject: RE: Ever Windsurf in Tarifa, Spain? Reply with quote

Tarifa is great. I stayed on the beach at Hostel Milon in 98. However it was very hot in July, 90 degrees on the beach,
I dont think any of the hotels had
airconditioning, and there were lots
of mosquitos. Ended up sleeping on
a beach chair one night when my room
was too hot, the lights from Africa glowing through the haze. The launch from Club Mistral looked nasty, there
were huge sharp exposed rocks,
maybe Ive got pics somewhere...

I basically got skunked, but it was
nice to hang on the beach after
a few weeks walking around European
cites.
MatlockBrian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2001 1:31 am    Post subject: RE: Ever Windsurf in Tarifa, Spain? Reply with quote

I was in Tarifa for two weeks several years ago. Incredible place that ranks high on my list. Spain is beautiful, cheap, and friendly. The wind was outstanding. I think I only had two or three no wind days. There are many Tarifa oriented sailing sites. Here are some of my links:

For wind frequency information throughout Europe:
http://www.tarifa.net/windsurf/windchrt.htm

General information:
http://www.tarifa.net/windsurf/windsurf.htm

Lodging:
http://www.tarifa.net/html/baselodging.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: