myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waterstart Catapults

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julianking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

Hi-

I have been having recent problems with being catapulted when I am trying to WaterStart.

I usually start out waterstarting fine, but after I have been out for a while (1/2 hour) and am a little tired I often find myself airbourne while tryign to get up.

I weigh 155 & am on a 113L Mistral Flow Board/Gaastra Grind 5.0 Wave sail. Sailing at Chrissy Field

thanks,

Julian
carl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: RE: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

Stay low and hang off the boom to counter-balance the pull on the sail, radically bend those knees. Also dont sheet in so much to put less power in the sail. Often the wind gets stronger later in the day at Chrissy so what you were doing in light wind may get you a catapult when it picks up.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: RE: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

Stay low and hang off the boom to counter-balance the pull on the sail, radically bend those knees. Also dont sheet in so much to put less power in the sail. Often the wind gets stronger later in the day at Chrissy so what you were doing in light wind may get you a catapult when it picks up.
spyder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

in addition to what carl said..

catapulting is mainly due to excess sail power, and the board not getting any forward motion.

to fix these problems, you need to bring the sail up slowly in strong winds, and bend your knees to brace for the pull. once you start rising, push the force into the board with your feet, to get the board moving. sometimes you have to really push, say in choppy water. if the board just sticks to the water, you will most likely go overboard.

so, you need to work on two things, control of the sails power, and get the board moving with the power, as soon as you get up.

a few tips that can help as well:

setting the board slightly off the wind (slightly), will help to get the board moving. this translates the sails power easier into the board. but you have to raise the sail carefully, and brace with bent knees.

maintain the warrior stance as you mount the deck, and sheet in the sail

some people do better with the back foot in the strap as you raise the sail.

straight front arm, wide grip on the boom, sail slightly forward to prevent roundup.

sheet in slowly to get the board on a plane, otherwise strong winds can huck you over.

hope this helps.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 4:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

Julian --

Isnt sailing at Chrissy without a 100% waterstart in ANY conditions much like playing Russian roulette? I hope you carry drinking water, marine radio, cell phone, electronic shark repellent, and GPS and dress for overnight immersion. Arent there FAR safer places for intermediates to sail in the Bay area? Are you aware how fast the fog line can shift and seriously challenge even a good waterstart? Do you watch the tides and charts like you watch the weather forecasts? Can you uphaul in waist-high chop on top of big swell on top of a ships wake?

Heck, Id be out there at your level, too, if I had no other choices ... but Id be wearing a backpack full of safety and self-reliance gear and would sail only with an observer on shore with a tested radio and/or phone link. Seems to me the only worse Bay spot would be right under the bridge, whereas there are many much safer spots with plenty of wind, all east of Chrissy. Your waterstart should be fine in just a few days of powered-up sailing in any of those spots.

Mike \m/
kaptekarev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

When its really windy, I will water start with both feet on the deck of the board. Once Im up slightly, I slip both feet in to the straps while hanging from the boom, and pointing the board down wind. Then just sheet in and go.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

Mike, you are right on about Chrissy, the ships, strong currents and voodoo chop can be problems even for advanced sailors. Candlestick or Coyote Pt is much safer, and the waters warmer too (they are south though not east, Berkley is east and you usually need bigger sails there).
julianking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice everyone - on both topics!

julian
gemoore

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

Julian -

I cant echo the safety sentiments strongly enough. But Id add one other thing. If youre too tired to waterstart after only 30 minutes on the water, you should think about getting in better shape - especially if you want to try spots like Chrissy **when you get your waterstarts down**.

In 30 minutes of hard hard wave sailing or serious jumping, you might find yourself getting in need of rest. But for the average sailor, you should be OK. So either you REALLY dont belong at Chrissy (spend most of your time swimming), or youre not being efficient on the water, or youre out of shape, or you need a check-up. Whatever, I dont think 30 minutes should be getting you too tired to waterstart.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Waterstart Catapults Reply with quote

I usually water start with my back foot in its strap before I even expose the sail to the wind. That gives me 100% control over the boards roll, pitch, and yaw while waterstarting and prevents catapults, and since I almost put my back foot in its strap first anyway, it puts me ahead of the game.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: