myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
when is too big too big?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickvena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 9:46 pm    Post subject: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a question for all you , uh, big sailors out there. I am 65 and about 275. I sail at crissy field in SF. I am sailing on a bic techno 293 and usually rig a 7.0. I need more power!!! Should I move up to an 8.0 or cut out the middle man and go for the 9.0? I see smaller sailors on formula boards with 8.0s and 9.0s. I am ready to fork out for a newer sail but am a little too light of funds to purchase 2. Any advice would be most appreciated.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: RE: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

I would go to 9.0. This is an acceptable jump for most people. (Im a relativly light 200lbs.) Your 7.0 is your high wind sail, I would recommend a 9.0 to get you off the beach in medium winds. Get something with alot of battons so you have some range in the gusts. You would be better off getting the 520 mast too. It will be stiffer than a 490 with a long extension and you can use it on even bigger sails. The stiffer mast is essential for the big sails, especially at your weight. Youll need a long, stiff carbon boom too. If the boom is at maximum extension with the 9.0, its too short. The boom will be much stiffer with about 8-12 of extension inside the boom. I do not recommend a 100% carbon mast, especially at Chrissy. Too fragile, go with 65 or 75% max.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: RE: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

Lee,
I agree with you that the smaller board would be better for Rick in higher wind, but you are off base on saying there is nothing to gain by going from 7.0 to 8.5+, especially for heavyweights. For a lightweight as yourself, there may be nothing to gain, but a heavy can actually use that extra power. I notice quite a difference in planing power, just going from 8.0 to 9.0.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: RE: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

LeeD, With a modern, 7+ batton sail and the correct mast and boom, there is a lot to gain, going to a 9.0 sail for a 275lbs sailor. Thanks for clarifying your statement though, I did misread it. As for what the racers use, They seem to be on MUCH bigger rigs, in the same wind, today than they were just 5 years ago. The equipment has gotten that much better.
carl

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: RE: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

Excuse me Lee,
If Im not qualified to give advice to Rick because I dont sail Crissy, then you shouldnt be qualified either because youre not EVEN close to 275lbs!
(Nobody would post anything on this forum with these rules.)
Carl
carl

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: RE: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

Lee, youre digging yourself deeper here.
I HAVE sailed Crissy a few times and have even washed up on downwind beach over by the yacht harbor on a flood. Crissy is not that unique, it has wind, it has tide currents just like Sherman has (I have sailed there alot). The wind is strong (or light at times, depending on the fog, and can drop suddenly just like ALOT of places. I bet I have MANY more friends that sail Crissy than you have friends that are close to 275lbs! Notice that Rick was asking HEAVYWEIGHTS the origional question. My contention is unless you have BEEN a heavyweight intermediate, how could you know our special needs. BTW you were never an intermediate either. You went straight from a beginning lesson to advanced waterstarting sinkers in what, a week? (or do you have intermediate roomates too?) Some of us ARE slower learners. To say Im not qualified to post is taking a somewhat nazi attitude, isnt it Lee?
mastfoot

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: RE: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

OK I am 275 I do sail crissy I do sail hookipa I do sail the gorge Lee you must be a squirrel coz your nuts your advice is asinine (thats stupid ) for those who cannot spell . you respond to every topic like you are an expert. You have not been windsurfing long enough to be an expert when you have served a 23 apprentiship you may then only consider yourself a jouneyman windsurfer Do you femember 1983 and fred heywood , mike waltz and alex sailing 60 footers on big monday outside hookipa or paskal maka and eric beal jenna de rosney and the late baron at weymouth england trying to beat 30 knots to be the fastest sail powered vessel in the world
There is so much more to this sport than you percive in you on little world ( I bet the best waves you ride are between 9pm and 6 am I for one am fed up reading your drivel
You have a nice windy day and when you have sailed it talk about it I bet the only thing you know about the flying pig is that it is red
G moore there i said what you and every one else was hoping for
aloha
cheese
mastfoot

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: RE: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

lee check boards uk mag may 1983 there are photos
mastfoot

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: RE: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

lee go to www.boards.uk.com check out the archives and as they say the camerea does not lie or send me your e-mail adress and ill send you photos of the blessed event
gemoore

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: RE: when is too big too big? Reply with quote

Hey DeeL

Get a therapist, dude. I had no reason to post to this, and youre dissing me. As for your advice here, I think its good.

In fact, I have sailed Crissy, but only twice. Loved it. City Front wouldnt rent to me unless I bought some rubber, so I got a 4/3 semidry. Dont think I got cold. But then, I get to sail in the REAL cold. (Cat got your tongue on that one, eh?)

Your local knowledge on the wind / tide characteristics make the right point. But one doesnt have to sail Crissy to be able to see that the waters are treacherous. I started my sailing life on a boat, where youre trained to see dangerous waters for what they are.

As for big rigs, I agree there too. Though the biggest Ive used is a 9.0. Those of us who are blessed to be 3000 miles away from you mainly sail in winds under 15 mph in the summer. Bummer.

And I agree, to make these rigs breathe correctly, you need lots of carbon. At Crissy, this doesnt make sense given the tides and tendency of the wind to shut off.

BTW, Id just love to see you paddle it in on an 80 L board at high ebb under the bridge. 2-to-1 you end up in the fog, feeling a lot colder than you anticipate.

GEM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: