myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness Line Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject: Harness Line Help Reply with quote

Last Saturday when sailing on a close reach my sail was sheeting out when I was hooked in. In other words I had to physically push the front of my boom away from me while pulling in with my back hand. I only had that problem when I was sailing upwind during the gusts, on a reach or broad reach I had no problem. I weigh 170 lbs. and I was using a 10 meter sail with a 10-15 mph wind. I only felt the front of the sail load up when the gusts hit the high teens and low 20s. Do I need to move back my harness lines? How come I had no problems on the reach?
gemoore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Harness Line Help Reply with quote

I like the supersonic theory.....but, alas, its wrong. Mach 1. Whoa! I wonder if its possible to reach Warp speeds on my Naish....

Its not a stall either. Its because the CoE moves aft on the sail, creating an increasing moment around harness line / handhold spots on the boom. The mast is driven to windward, and the sailor frequently driven into the water.

The main problem is sail deformation due to being overpowered and out of its designed operation parameters. You can control it with more downhaul, or with a smaller sail.

You may not be rigging the sail flat enough, and if so the more downhaul approach is probably better. If youre rigging the sail correctly, more downhauls will work, but if it stays windy enough youll find it faster / easier handling to go to a smaller rig. You can also try moving the harness lines back, but I recommend the flatter / smaller choices.

Gee, I wonder if I could get some pointers with a ride on the Concorde?

GEM
galeforce79

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Harness Line Help Reply with quote

verry verry simple, your harness line isnt centered in the correct spot for that sail, when sailing hooked into the harness line, let go of the boom totaly for a moment, the sail should stay put, if the rig goes forward, move the harness lines back, if the rig moves back move the lines forward. i have been cought with my big sail with my harness line set up for my smaller sail, i totaly have to hold on for life with one hand given it is front or back, and the other hand doesnt need to hold on much, its all in adjustment, go out sail for a moment, stop and adjust the harness lines or try and set them up first on land
coachg

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 1:20 am    Post subject: RE: Harness Line Help Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I dont think I had my harness lines in the wrong place because I could take both hands off the boom and cruise in the mid to low teens. I know I was over powered at times, I didnt know the CE moved back when over powered. I only had the problem when the wind pushed up to the 20s. I know I should have rigged smaller but the wind kept changing speeds every 15 minuets. Every time I came in to re-rig, the wind died down so I would go back out. I checked with my local weather and the wind speeds went from 12 mph at 2:30 to 28 mph by 3:00 and down to 8 mph by 3:15. It kept that pattern up for three hours.
gemoore

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Harness Line Help Reply with quote

These kind of conditions take some getting used too. When you realize its doing this, Id suggest flattening up your rig, and going out to learn how to feel the rig better. Youll find yourself learning to blast the gusts, surf whatever waves you get, and maybe even pump the lulls.

In much of mid-America, sailors can expect this kind of thing with 10 second gusts and lulls as their epic day. Learn to sail this and stay dry, and youll be a great sailor. In these conditions, will greatly benefit from learning how to do monster pumps. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: