myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (OR)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sme

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (OR) Reply with quote

Pistol River Beach has been designated a Priority A site for developing snowy plover nesting. That means it will happen to this beach, unless we can raise enough public outcry to prevent this decision. Once designated, the state parks will do whatever is necessary to attract the snowy plover to this beach (including buldozing sand dunes, establishing fences, etc). This will mean no more sailing at the rock.

Please join me in fighting this issue. Please send your objections to the email address below. Also, send this information to as many people as you can. This plan is currently open for public comment until March 19, 2004.

Information on this is at http://www.prd.state.or.us/osmp_hcp.php
email your comments to osmp.hcp@state.or.us

Appendix F is the report naming pistol river.
I have photos of what we can expect to be looking at on our beach shortly - miles of chain link fence and no entry signs.

Thanks,
Suzanne.
sme

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: RE: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (O Reply with quote

For photos, please check http://www.softwave.com/snowyplover
pacspeed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (O Reply with quote

I hate to say it folks, especially as an Oregon-based wavesailor, but we cant have it both ways. How many of us support the endagered species act? This landmark legislation has saved species from extinction, most notably the California Condor, and quite possibly others like various salmonids, lots of birds, and other critters weve never heard of.

I dont remember any windsurfers taking up arms when the Oregon timber industry was decimated by ESA rules protecting the spotted owl. And that was people bread and butter, not just an expensive hobby for a tiny slice of population

If most of us consider ourselves progressivly minded, we need to take the good with the bad, and make the sacrifices we demand of others. Who cheered when jet skis were banned from lake Tahoe? Who celebrated the resurgence of cougars, eagles, and bears when hunting them was banned? Like I said, we cant have it both ways.
gdewitt1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (O Reply with quote

I have to agree. People who sail are happy to bring up environmental concerns when they are trying to preserve a sailing site. Its a little hypocritical to cry foul when it works against you!
carl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (O Reply with quote

Im not at all familiar with Pistol River layout but is it possible to make a fenced walkway to the water for the sailors? Is the only access to the wave break go across the nesting grounds? There are several parks around here with nesting grounds that have fenced walkways around them and the birds and people seem fine with that.
erickmj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (O Reply with quote

Of course we are self interested and hypocritical... Were human! We all rationalize our biases. Politicians do it, philanthropists do it, environmentalists do it, economists do it, the left does it, the right does it, and we windsurfers will rationalize our hypocrisy too. I like seeing our endangered fauna preserved, but I like my wavesailing too. I guess Ill support one or the other, and live with my decision/bias/rationalization. Still, what little passion I have for Plovers seems more than trumped by one decent set wave collapsing on a South Oregon coast sand bar.
sme

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (O Reply with quote

Theres more information on this issue at http://www.softwave.com/snowyplover

It appears there are a number of legal questions surrounding how the snowyplover got on the list in the first place. The Natrual Resources Defence Council has filed a lawsuit with regard to this.

Even if the bird should be on the endangered list, putting up ugly chainlink fences on an otherwise pristine beach is a crime against mother nature. Protecting one thing while destroying another is hypocritical.

The state parks plan is based on unproven conclusions. Also, there is nothing in their report to limit the extreems to which they could go for closing beaches. A promise here or there will not guarantee access or keep man made barriers from going up.

Unless they can start making scientifically proven statements and specifying exactly what they will or wont do to our beaches I will oppose this.

Im pretty sure that an intelligent plan could be presented that protects the snowyplover and when it is, I will support it, since I too wish to promote protecting our environment.
AdamJulie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: RE: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (O Reply with quote

Hi From S. Florida. Leo and Moon need an update. will Pistol River be open this season. I will let them know before they go. Thanks Adam Locke
sme

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: RE: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (O Reply with quote

Tell Leo yes. Its unlikely they will get around to shutting it down this year. Especially with all the response on this issue.
AdamJulie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Prevent closure of Pistol River State Beach (O Reply with quote

Thanks for the response>

I have delt with problems in S. Florida a few years back. Our problem was with too many snow birds. I was able to create a plan for a launch corridor that allowed windsurfers to launch between the marks. Maybe you can use the same approach to gain access thru- the bird area. It worked for me on Miami Beach and also at Cradon Beach. Both locations had never allowed windsurfing because of the risk of injury to one of them snow birds. Today I am happy to report no snow birds have been damaged and windsurfing is allowed at these sights. Good luck

PS I will pass the word to Leo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: